Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PRAHA:Staying in the Holesovice station area ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone has an idea what the area around the Holesovice station is like? Charming? Run down? Any neighborhood restaurants? I appreciate any comment as I need to stay in that area.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Syl

Do not stay in that area. It's industrial & far from the tourist areas of Prague.No restaurants in sight. Not only was my husband pickpocketed while trying to disembark from the tram returning to the Extol Hotel one night,but we also got lost coming out of the empty Holesovice subway station another night. Good thing we were able to get to a gas station a block away & catch a cab from there.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM
J62

I agree with Syl - not an area I would consider staying. Holesovice station is at the end of the N/S subway line (red line, I think). You can get into the tourist area, or many other places in Prague by subway in 15-20min, so unless you really must be at that location, I'd stay elsewhere. The Prague subway is efficient, clean, and cheap.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Hi Todor. If you MUST stay there, which street will you be on? I have friends that live in that area, but, of course they all speak Czech, and are locals. That section is not THAT bad, if you know where you're going & what you're doing. If you're a lost tourist, yes, that could be a problem.

Since it is out of the way of the main tourist area, most people will automatically speak Czech to you. Younger people almost always speak English, as well, so you would at least be able to talk to some people to get ideas about restuarants, etc.

So, post back with a street name, or hotel, etc, and I'll try to do some research..!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:33 AM

With the very greatest of respect, why do you need to stay in that area? Public transport to and from Holesovice from other parts of Prague is cheap and plentiful.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice. I'm only staying overnight at the Absolut Design hotel on Jablonskeho, supposedly the metro stop and the Nadrazi Holesovice are just a few steps away. I've explored Prague in the past but never been to Holesovice.
Amp322: Can you ask your colleagues how bad is the area? Actually what's so bad about it? I would avoid it if it's repulsive or life endangering.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Topping my last question.

Planning to stay near the Holesovice train station because I'll be arriving by train at Holesovice in the late afternoon and taking the direct Express Airport Bus from Holesovice very early the next morning. It's really not a trip to enjoy Prague but merely a point of transfer. I need to take a taxi heading south to Mala Strana where I'm supposed to meet some colleagues for dinner.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:15 PM

I took an express bus to the airport from Dejvicka one time, so staying on the Mala Strana side works, too. What time is your flight?

Anyway, I don't think emailing my friends to ask them if they live in a bad area is a good idea! All I'm saying is that Holesovice is a more working class ethnic Czech area, where you'll not find too many English speaking people. Any of the fringe areas (like outer Zizkov, Prague 3, for instance, are more likely to be seedier.) Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to stay there, but I know my way around Prague. Taking a taxi to Mala Strana is possible, but have the hotel call AAA,and set the rate for you. Easy enough. Like I said, there are busses to the airport from Prague 10, as well, so if you want to stay on that side of the river, it is possible.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Amp322: I managed to change my plane reservation to a flight that leaves at 9:40 AM, so maybe now I can take the 30 minute Express bus at 7:30 AM/8AM. Do I need to arrive 60 or 90 minute early for an intra-Europe flight? I feel fine staying in Holesovice unless you can recommend a good convenient hotel to stay in Mala Strana. Thanks for your advice about getting the taxi from AAA.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM

I don't have a specific hotel recommendation, but I think you will enjoy staying in Mala Strana for the atmosphere and the ability to walk on the nearby Charles Bridge at night.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:42 PM

When I fly intra-Europe, I get there at least 60 minutes in advance. Depends on which airline. At the Prague airport, unless you're flying CSA, you might be in a "generic" line, with people flying all different airlines. I would get there 90 minutes ahead, just to be safe. There is a good cafeteria there, so I usually have a snack & do some shopping. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate all your inputs! I'll be flying Swissair (small aircraft) not the CSA codeshare. I read about the brand new airport building.