Todi, Italy: Getting There!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 3 days in Rome, we are staying at Todi Castle with a large group. One of the families has booked a transfer from Rome to Todi for 350 eu for 6 people. That sounds crazy-expensive to us, but we're having difficulty finding out how to get to Todi. Seems there is no train station. Being unfamilliar with the combination of trains, busses and/or taxis that we may have to take just to get from Rome to Todi Castle, I'm wondering if the 350 isn't that off base. Any expertise to share?

And since I'm asking, they have a private bus reserved to take 20 people to the Umbria Jazz Festival in Perugia (from the Castle) for 650 euros total. Again, I'm unfamiliar with the area, but it can't be that far that it costs that much! Thanks for your advice.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 09:47 AM

Is this door to door? 60 euros per person sounds incredibly cheap to me. Have you looked at the distance on a map? I don't think there is anywhere in America where you could get a private transfer covering that much distance (with so little hassle) for an equal price.

Is the private bus to Perugia round trip transportation, pick up at your door? Again, being asked to pay 20 euros each way sounds cheap to me.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 02:10 PM

Besides getting to your base and to Perugia, how will you be getting around to enjoy the area? Have you considered renting some cars?
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can train from Rome to Todi. You take Trenitalia to Terni (6€) and switch to the local train line FCU from Terni to Todi Ponte Rio. Total travel time is about 2 hours. When you get to Todi, you catch the bus up to the hilltown (timed to meet the train). You can also take the FCU train from Todi to Perugia. These trains are only a few euro and ticket validation may be a machine on board instead of track side. The red train lines are Trenitalia and the blue is FCU.
http://www.fcu.it/reteferroviaria.php

This article tells a little about the FCU train.
http://www.perugiaonline.com/trenipgus.html
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Todi schedules (2010) on pages 6-9.
http://www.fcu.it/docOrari/Orario%20...bre%202010.pdf
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM

i just returned from the todi area and while i had a car, my friends who live there often take the train...

i would check with the castle as they might meet you at the train....

everything in italy is crazy expensive....
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM

It looks like your castle is located about 15km south of Todi. If taking the train, you will probably need to arrange for taxis to and from the castle.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your input. This one does cost more than other trips and I appreciate the help saving a few dollars so we can enjoy this birthday trip with our friends who have a lot more money than we (and most people!) do. I appreciate the options.