Spoleto information request

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoleto information request

I am traveling alone and meeting my family in Villa Spaga Agriturismo Torre Allori in Colle Del Marchese. I need to know how to get to the train station from FCO in Rome. If I take the Eurostar from Rome to Spoleto do I have to change trains? Also, I need to know what bus or number do I take to the Villa in Colle Del Marchese? Do taxi's go there and how much would it cost? Does anyone have a contact for taxi's or bus in Spoleto. Which would be safer to take as I am traveling alone with luggage.

Does anyone have a contact for a car for hire or airport transfer service that would take 11 people with luggage from our Villa back to FCO rome airport. I know it would be expensive but I would like to receive some quotes. Does anyone know a website that I could go to or a phone number to call.

Thank you for all your help.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:46 AM
GAC

I don't know where this agriturismo is located, but I can tell you that getting from the Fiumicino Airport-FCO to Spoleto is very, very easy, and rather inexpensive.

You need to take the commuter train from the airport train station to Tiburtina Station, and connect to the direct train (either Eurostar Italia (ES) or Regionale (R) or Interregionale (IR) train) to Spoleto.

Connecting at Tiburtina will cost you less than connecting at the main Termini Station, and the connection is faster and easier, plus the commuter train to Tiburtina leaves every 15 minutes, while the express train "Leonardo da Vinci" to Termini leaves every 30 minutes, and costs twice as much.

Check schedules and fares at www.trenitalia.com. enter "Roma aeroporto" and "Spoleto" as departure and arrival points. The Regionale/Interregionale train is fine, don't feel you must wait for the Eurostar Italia train. The difference in travel time is less than 20 minutes (and the R/IR trains cost less).

The local bus company in Spoleto is Spoletina. Check their schedules at
www.spoletina.it
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will take your suggestion and take the commuter train. I did try the www.spoletina.it website but it is in italian and I don't know how to convert it to english and everytime I put in the destination it comes back invalid. It is very frustrating. I wonder if there is a number I can call. Do you know anything about the taxi's?
Thanks Again
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:10 AM

Here is another link to buses from Spoleto.

This line takes you to Castel Ritaldi, which, according to the agriturismo's Web site, is close by:

http://www.spoletina.it/orario%20ext...tardoTerni.htm

Here's a link showing a map (click on "mappa") of the villages near Castel Ritaldi (and it doesn't show Colle del Marchese, so it must be tiny, tiny, tiny...):

http://www.comune.castel-ritaldi.pg.it/inizio.htm

The buses are perfectly safe -- I've taken a number of them -- but they are not really equipped to take luggage, and the schedules are sometimes quite limited. You may have to spring for a taxi, which may be quite expensive. (I realize there are a lot of "mays" in here, but I only found one Web site that showed Colle del Marchese itself and even the names of the closest villages were totally unfamiliar to me, and I once spent three weeks touring the hill towns of Umbria.)

Here is a Web site for bus charters in Umbria:

http://www.bus.it/autonoleggio.new/s...?codregione=34

There are small buses for 16 to 19 people that you might be able to charter for the trip from the agriturismo to Fiumicino. (In the first blue line after "posti di" enter 10 and after "a" enter 20, click on "cerca" and a list of the available buses and the companies that own them will come up.)

I know there is a bus service between Fiumicino and Perugia (I think there are two buses a day), but you would still have to get from the agriturismo to Perugia. If you are flying out of Fiumicino in the morning (most transatlantic flights depart in the morning), I think it would be wise to travel to Rome the preceding day.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. Where would I get either the commuter train or the express train from the FCO Rome airport. Is there signs to follow or are there specific directions.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:40 AM
GAC

Follow the signs to the airport train station. Very easy. Be careful to board the correct train: one goes non-stop to Termini, the other is the local train to Tiburtina. You can connect to Spoleto from either station, but it costs less to go to Tiburtina, and service is every 15 minutes from Monday to Saturday (every 30 minutes on Sunday).
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 10:33 AM

My #1 tip for visiting Spoleto: wear comfortable shoes. Trust me.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Okay for clarification, I will take the train that goes to Tiburtina. Then I get off that train and catch the Eurostar that connects into Spoleto? I will wear comfortable shoes but I am staying about 25 minutes outside of Spoleto and am having difficulty finding out what bus goes there or if a taxi goes there as the website is in italian and I cannot read italian. The Parker Company is checking with their italian counterparts to give me exact bus information.

Thanks Again
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:28 PM

I just took the train from Rome to Spoleto earlier this month....it does not require a change of trains.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:04 PM

The OP is referring to an earlier suggestion that from FIUMICINO she take the local to Roma Tiburtina and catch the train to Spoleto there, instead of taking the express all the way to Roma Termini.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

so I follow the signs for the train station then I book first class passage from rome to spoleto and I just stay on the train the whole way until I get to Spoleto? I think that is the way to go for me since I have luggage and don't want to lug it off and on trains.

thanks for all your help
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:53 AM
GAC

see my posting: two types of trains between Rome and Spoleto
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM

Amaria: You CANNOT take the train from Fiumicino to Spoleto without changing trains.

Mgfit was referring to taking a direct train to Spoleto without changing trains from the downtown Roma Termini train station.

From Fiumicino, you EITHER take the local train and change trains at Roma Tiburtina as GAC -- who, believe me, knows whatever there is to know about transportation in Italy -- suggested OR you take the express train to Roma Termini, walk for approx. 20 minutes from where the express arrives to where the other trains depart, and get into a direct train to Spoleto.