Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bus or train fm Cortona to Rome in early am for a 13:00 plane to London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello anyone helpful reading this now

How hard will it be for me to get from Cortona to Rome in time to catch a 1pm flight to London on June 15th? My daughter and I are staying in a hostel there for two nights, and I know the trains go into Termini sta. some buses into Tiburtina sta., and then we'll have a 30 min underground ride to Fiumicino....(not sure how far in advance we have to be on hand for the flight, tho)

Any ideas of how to check specific bus or train times to know if this is doable?
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:51 PM

You should be able to find times of trains by going to the bahn.de web site. I check and they have several listings for Cortona - and don; t know which you mean.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:06 PM

There is a train that leave Cortona at 8:03 and arrives at Termini at 10:23.

keep in mind that you must check in at least one hour before your flight.
Also you must have some times going through security..Is going to be nerve wrecking but you may make it.

08:03
CAMUCIA 10:23
ROMA TE 02:20

Buona Fortuna..
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:07 AM

For me, this would be cutting it to close -- I'd worry about missing my flight!

But here are a few options if you do want to stay that night in Cortona. Picking a random date, Trenitalia shows it can take anywhere from 2 to 3 hours (depending on the train and how many stops it makes) to get from Camucia to Rome. http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD

Camucia is one of two train stations you can use to access Cortona. Since Cortona is on a hill, it's several kilometres above the train line -- and it can be hard to find a taxi to take you up and down.

Anyway, if you caught the 7 a.m., high-speed train from Camucia to Rome's Termini, you'd get in about 8:45 a.m. Then, you'd have to find the Leonardo Express train to Fiumicino airport which might take another 30 minutes; then 30 minutes ride to the aiport. That would get you to the airport about 10 a.m. which is just about the time you'd want to be there.

But all that is assuming nothing goes wrong -- that you can get a ride from Cortona down to the train station by about 6:30 a.m., there are no delays or strikes or anything to slow you down.

And there is no underground to Termini -- the Leonardo Express is the fastest train and runs above ground.
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:09 AM

Oops, I meant there is no underground line FROM Termini TO Fiumicino airport.