To everyone that flies...........

Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:01 PM
Julie

To everyone that flies...........

I had read this message a few days ago and had hoped to see people respond to it. I couldn't believe there was another mother out there that thought the same as me.

I am reposting it in the hopes that more people will see it.
I hope that for people everywhere that dislike being seated near babies or small children will do something.
If you are not the type to complain, then please at least when you are checking in for flights, let it be known that you would not like to sit near children, especially to have a toddler sitting behind you so that their feet can constantly kick you.

If everyone starts telling agents to not seat them like this, it will become known to the airlines that people everywhere, whether on long or short flights, do not want to pay money and then be bothered.

Here is the what this one mother wrote when she replied to a message sometime ago.

Author: Iagree ([email protected])
Date: 8/20/2001, 5:08 pm ET

I agree, I never liked being near a kid especially a baby on overseas flights, and I still wouldn't like to today if I were flying alone.
However, now that I am a mom, I see a different view point.
I see here most of you don't have children or have forgotten what it was like.
Some kids are good and easy to control, others are not. You can't just beat the hell out of them or chain them up when you have a high strung child. I do agree some people go way over the limits though in letting their kids so wild things.

THE BIGGEST REASON I AM WRITING............

I have always complained to the airlines about this stuff and now more so, why do they have to spread us out?
Why do the put people with small kids (toddlers) in seats with people in front of them? I wish I could always have the bulk seats to avoid having my toddler kick the seat in front of him.
Why are kids spread out all over the plane? They could put all the families with children in the same area (at least one behind the other).
I was put once in a window seat with my child in my lap and two handicap people next to me (oh what fun it must have been for them everytime I had to go to the bathroom and change a diaper).
If the airlines would put us all near an area with a bathroom that would help.
If the airlines once had smoking and non-smoking sections, they can do the same now and have a section for families.
If you all would make your voices heard to the airlines, they might start listening ( I can't be the only trying to get them to change).
If enough people suggested the same things or complained about the same things you would see a change.
American has helped a lot with the seat issue in that it has made a big difference in the leg room.

I hope some of you all here will tell the airlines your complaints.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:20 PM

After reading the posts tonight, I was wondering what caused the "WIMP" post.
I assume it was this, and when I found this wanted to know why it was originally posted.

From what I found, this mother, made her comment in response to a post where lots of people wrote in complaining about kids on planes being and doing kid things.
She obviously didn't like the "WIMPs" either.

I agree with her post and the second one too.
I am lucky my wife is the one that travels most often with our kids.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Ed

In defense of kids and babies:

Frankly, a healthy, happy baby, properly prepared and cared for, doesn't cry all the way to Europe. Unfortunately some do ... which is an indictment of the parents.

A well-trained kid doesn't constantly kick the seat in front of him or her, doesn't whine for hours, doesn't play hell with surrounding adults. Unfortunately many parents are irresponsible and incompetent and rear uncontrolled brats. It's not the kids' fault.

There's no reason not to allow children on long flights ... as long as their parents can pass a test demonstrating that they have reared their children properly and properly prepared them for the flight.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:47 PM
a good

Ed- I'll second that. My kids do not whine, kick seats etc. and never will. There are none (or at least very few) truly bad kids. There are scads of incompetant, clueless and just plain bad parents.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:21 PM
Karen

I am not a bad parent just because I don't beat my 2 year old that likes to have his feet elevated and puts them up on the seat in front of him and doesn't care if I get mad or tell him 100 times not to do that because it is bothersome to the person in front.

What some of you don't realize, that depending on the size of your child, there is a time when tall children will be sitting in the chair and thier legs are not long enough to fold over the chair and hang down, but they are long enough that they go straight out and the toes hit the seat in front.
Since their feet are never still, you can imagine.

Also, so many people here are saying they would be willing to hold the child or distract a child just not to hear them. Though I have never had the problem of crying or yelling (unless something was wrong)
you don't know how much I'd love for just one person to offer a distraction two minutes.
Also, my kid on overseas flights, goes up and down the aisle, stretching his legs just like everybody else does, and though he never touches or bugs anyone else, people or more disturbed seeing kid walk around and not the adults.
Overall, people are just grumpy on long haul flights and will complain about anything.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:37 PM
Buyer

Duh, you sure as heck are a bad parent if you tell your child ANYTHING 100 times and they don't do it. I can't wait until your kid hits their teens and you tell him 100 times not to drive drunk, take drugs or kill people.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:44 PM
Karen

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I see you don't have a 2 year old and must not have kids.
There is a big difference in a toddler and teenager.
At least a teen knows better and when they get a big wack on the rear or restriction they think twice.
Not all toddlers give a flip when you wack their butt, and I don't believe in
ABUSE.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:56 PM
nospam

Karen, you certainly are a bad parent if you allow your child to bother another passenger and do nothing about it. If you can't think of anything in between beating and doing nothing, you fit into the "clueless" catagory. Please take some parenting classes before I have the misfortune of being in the seat ahead of your child.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:10 PM
Les

I've raised two kids to adulthood, and neither was ever a problem on long flights (or in movies, restaurants, or anywhere else). Having said that, I consider them the exceptions, and can only smirk at those who think that raising kids like trained animals can be good for the kids, or is even possible in all cases. Children are individuals, and as such, respond individually to discipline. Although it might be the case, I would not rush to blame the parents for the childs actions. So much in defense of Karen.
However, Karen, you ARE a bad parent for letting your children wander the aisles, rather than being safely strapped in their seats. And no, not everybody does it, only the stupid ones. And if I have to explain why ...

Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:15 PM
Karen

What some of you people are so stupid to realize, that we parents don't just travel with nothing.
I buy special toys and new things that keep my kids attention. We read books,play games (quiet ones), etc.
I didn't think I had to mention all of this and explain everything to a tee, but some of you are real idiots.
I was trying to make point that none of you seem to get.
If you want to keep posting how bad a parent I am, I then do hope that in the future I can make your aquaintance on one of our long haul flights and that you are sitting in front of us.
I will then tell my kid on purpose to kick your seat and play in you hair.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:26 PM
xxx

Karen, you score a point for your detractors with your last post! You sound like a positively hideous parent, and I hope you stay home.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:29 PM
Karen

Thank you, and you know I won't.

Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:36 PM
isn't this

Wow, Karen you are truly one selfish and self absorbed individual. Maybe your child will turn out allright, but it will take many hours of therapy (and maybe jail time) when he/she reaches adulthood. In the meantime, could you post your travel plans here so the rest of us can avoid you? Thanks in advance.

Aug 24th, 2001, 05:06 AM
debbie

Karen,
If you think controlling a teenager is easier than controlling a toddler, are you in for a surprise in about 13 years! I feel sorry for you!

Aug 24th, 2001, 05:37 AM
lisa

When traveling with my tot a few years back, the one time she tried to kick the seat in front of her I just held her legs. Let go, and when she tried to kick again, I held them again. It stopped, but I was prepared to hold her little feet for the duration.

Karen, you should never have to tell a kid 100 times (or even 10...) anything. I'ts apparent who rules the roost in your house. It will not get better.

By the way, you would whack the bottom of a teen??? My god you do need some parenting skills!

Aug 24th, 2001, 05:44 AM
luft

Karen,
You are one sick individual. And I think your child will grow up to be a very disturbed, spoiled person.
Be careful what you wish for, do not be surprised if you let your child kick and annoy people, somebody might get sick from flying and vomit all over you.

Aug 24th, 2001, 05:50 AM
waah

How do some of you make it in this world, with such thin skin? Crying about how a two year old made your life miserable? Geez. Try some headphones or earplugs and get on with life (if you one that is).

Aug 24th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Deborah

When flying with my two year old I also do the hold the leg trick like Lisa. It works for us. If he wants to stretch he sits sideways with his feet on my lap. If he needs to go for a walk, we'll walk back to the restrooms (TOGETHER).
It is so very important to teach them at a young age to be considerate of other people. If you don't teach them young they'll never get it.

Aug 24th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Karen

BEWARE, BAD PARENT HERE

I will be traveling in October through out the month till December.
Across the Atlantic a few times and throughout the US.
Have fun!!!!!!!!

Bet you wish you knew which airlines.

Aug 24th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Art

Cuddos to Lisa and Deborah. When my son was young I did simular things. I never asked him to do something more than twice. I would then get up off of my ass and help him go or do what I had asked. No hitting just a firm grip and follow through. I would also hold his legs on an airplane if he tried to put his feet on the seat in front of him. No tight squezing to cause him pain just constraint. ANYONE who lets their child push, kick or whatever to the seat in front of them is asking for trouble in other areas as well. If you don't start when they are young, it only gets worse as they grow up.
Regards,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO