To Budapest or not?

Mar 30th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

To Budapest or not?

We are well travelled and been to most major cities around the world. We have never been to Budapest and are considering a stop over there for several days after a cruise. We have been to Prague and loved it. Are the two cities similar?? We are NOT into museums so if that is the main attractions in Budapest, we'd prefer to go elsewhere. I appreciate your opinions. Other than museums, why would you want to go back? Thank you.
Mar 30th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Margaret Island and the hot springs are really interesting. Buda and Pest are a great place to visit.
Mar 30th, 2006, 08:26 AM

we loved it. can't wait to go back.
www.pestiside.hu is an alternative online magazine with good info.
Apr 12th, 2006, 10:46 PM

Hi Newyorkgolfer,

Do not hesitate, come to Budapest (queen of the Danube) and you will find a superb king-size city. Prague is more intimate, Budapest is more mondale. Large river cuts the city inti two, the monuments were built later in the 19th, 2oth sentury, we have more neoclassic and eclectic, liberty. Parliament building (largest in Europe in neo-gothic sty), Cathedral, Main Synagogue (2nd largest of the world), elegant Andrassy Blvd, Opera House, City park and many many THERMAL bathes, Central Covered Market, Antique shops and markets... friendly people and lots of bars and terraces.
Contact me and I will show you Budapest with my own car.
Apr 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM

Go to Budapest, please don't hesitate! It is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe!
You van not compare it with Prague, maybe with Vienna.
Apr 13th, 2006, 02:47 AM

I've been to both and agree that Budapest has its own special charm. There is much more to do there than just visit museums IMO and the city does not have the medieval look and feel which you undoubtedly experienced in parts of Prague.

I would especially encourage you to visit if the alternative is to simply "fly home."
Apr 13th, 2006, 02:49 AM

P.S.: There are some who would question your description as being "well-travelled" if you haven't visited this city.
Apr 13th, 2006, 02:56 AM

If not for museums, go for:
1. walking -- endless strolls up to the castle, on Margaret's Island, along the Danube, etc
2. spas/baths/hot springs -- 12 within the city limits, some dating to the 1500s
3. Roman ruins -- of the city of Aquincum
4. opera, instrumental music, dance, musical theatre -- big names, fine venues, low prices
5. top quality hotels -- and restaurants -- you can really eat well and the food scene is now quite sophisticated
6. above all the architecture, which most resembles Vienna. Indeed no-one should see the one without seeing the other, to compare these 2 19th C cities, both centres of empire
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:09 AM

I often see people asking "Shall I go to Budapest - is it like Prague?"

I don't know why places are often compared to Prague but in this case the cities are very different. I found Budapest to be a more interesting city with more things to do. Having said that, I enjoyed Prague more - it's a smaller city with a better atmosphere provided you can avoid the busy tourist season there when it will feel more like Disneyworld in the centre of the city.
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:12 AM

I just returned from 5 days in Budapest. I'm not that into museums or history, but I had an amazing time. The baths were fantastic, the food was really interesting, the opera house was gorgeous. Also an amazing synagogue, interesting shops, a lovely central park....and even though I'm not all that into history, it was a very interesting place and had a unique history that was apparent in its cuisine, architecture, and culture. I would really like to go back to visit more baths, the holocaust memorial center, take some day trips out of the city, spend more time in the leafy hilly areas in the western part of the city, take a boat cruise down the danube (the river was flooded during my trip) and spend some more time walking around the castle district in Buda.
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:56 AM

i don't quite understand how not having been to budapest, but to most other world capitals makes one not well travelled?
compared to whom/what?

Apr 13th, 2006, 06:02 AM

Another vote for going to Budapest.
I don't recall going to a single museum in Budapest and I am into museums.
Don't miss it.
I would go back for the baths, the opera and the vibrancy of this cosmopolitian city.

Search this Thread