Budapest Travel Plans

Oct 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Budapest Travel Plans

Myself, husband, and 18 year old daughter will travel to Budapest/Prague in February. We have 3 full days plus half of arrival day in Budapest. We always build a possible itinerary when we travel.

1. We like getting a highlight of the city, then going back to our must sees. This also helps us get our bearings in a new city. We have read many different tour options, can anyone recommend a tour that would just give us an overview of the city?

2. My daughter wants to go to Terezin. Can we easily take a bus or train there instead of a tour company?

3. We arrive noon on Saturday and have Sun-Tuesday full days. Any suggstions on planning due to closings on Sundays or Mondays?

I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks for any advice offered.

We enjoy history, music, photography, and catching the local culture. Husband is interested in all suggestions for beer. Our favorite travel memories come from suggestions of others.
Oct 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM

I gather your post is about Budapest. Terezin is in the Czech Republic and would be visited from Prague.

I am a firm believer that highlights can be obtained from guidebooks such as Fodor's or the Michelin Green Guide.

For staying in Budapest, I recommend the B&B Bellevue:

http://www.bellevuebudapest.com/inde...en&faz=1&aaz=0
Oct 21st, 2007, 11:28 AM

We had 3 nights in Budapest recently and are soon to visit Prague. We really enjoyed the guided tour of the Opera House in Budapest, I think they have two tours per day, both in the afternoon. Beautiful inside.

We also enjoyed the cafe culture in the city, lots of old cafes that had so much atmosphere, good food and pleasant service. One cafe we visited twice was Centrál Kávéház - (Central Coffehouse), Károlyi Mihály u. 9. You will find it more easily if you map it on Google before you leave home. We had dinner there once at night and cake and coffee on another day. Nice place (and they serve beer!).
Kay
Oct 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM

I agree with B&B Bellevue. We stayed there this March. Really helpful hosts.

Try to attend a concert at the Palace of Arts,www.mupa.hu, they have an english translation. Really beautiful concert hall with great acoustics.

Soaking at the Szechenyi spa was a great experience,too
Oct 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM

Hi-
I was in Budapest for 3 nights in March (and then Vienna and Prague).
I just finished reposting my blog over to my website for my days in Budapest-perhaps this will help.
http://www.wired2theworld.com
Click on the Central Europe trip.

Do you like markets? The large central market is an interesting place to visit for a couple of hours. Great photo ops too.

Another great place for photos is just to wander around the Castle district. Lots of great old pastel colored houses and Fisherman's Bastion.

Terazin is much closer to Prague and I don't think you can do it as a day trip from Budapest.
Oct 21st, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Keep the thoughts coming. My mistake on Terezin. We will day trip from Prague to Terezin later in the week. Trying to decide what day trip to take from Budapest (if any).

15 fly-out
16 arrive in Budapest
17-19 Budapest
20 train to Prague
21-23 Prague
24 fly home

Definitely marked Central Coffehouse and Central Market. Both sound like places we will enjoy.

From reading, sounds like we will want a half day or more in the Parliament area. One day in the castle area.

Will definitely check out the website on concerts. I would like to go to a performance at the Opera House.

Thanks for the words on the baths. That is the bath we were looking at. My daughter and I are the ones who want to take a dip and maybe a massage.

Will be reading the trip log.

Keep thoughts coming!
Thank you,
Debbie
Oct 21st, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Kristina,

Thanks so much for sharing your website on Budapest! How terrific! I am back on track with planning!!

The Prague sections didn't work though. I would love to read those also.

Thanks,
Debbie
Oct 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM

Hi Debbie-

Sorry about that!
For the full trip report go here:
http://www.wired2theworld.blogspot.com/

For this last trip, I experimented by putting my travelogue on a "blog" rather than my own website. Honestly, I don't like the format too much (last post first), so I'm in the process of moving it over to my main website. I've only finished through Budapest so far.

Anyway, it's all there on the blog, you just have to go backwards!