Notices

To Ankara or not?

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Ankara or not?

Hi, all,

We are currently planning our Greek/Turkish vacation and are trying to decide if we should squeeze Ankara into our itinerary. We have two options following several days in Istanbul:

May 11 - fly from Istanbul to Cappadocia in mid-morning
May 12 - Cappadocia
May 13 - Cappadocia
May 14 - spend morning in Cappadocia, fly back to Istanbul in mid-morning/early afternoon

or

May 11 - fly from Istanbul to Cappadocia in mid-morning
May 12 - Cappadocia
May 13 - Cappadocia, drive to Ankara sometime in the afternoon (I believe it's about 3 or 4 hours, right?)
May 14 - spend the day in Ankara, fly back to Istanbul around 8 p.m.

We don't want to short-change Cappadocia, but I also hear that Ankara is underappreciated. We're interested in the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations and just checking out the city. Any thoughts on what we should do?

Thanks!
Meredith
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM

Hi

We visited Ankara as part of a tour. Included was a visit to Ataturk's Mausoleum and the Hittite Museum. The Mausoleum was interesting but the Hittite display was extraordinary. So if you're into museums you won't be disappointed. We too flew back to Istanbul using Turkish Air. Cappadocia is amazing so make sure you allow enough time for the sights.

"Cappadocia Tours" is a tour company that gets good reviews in this forum - just use the search facility to find posts.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, worldinabag! The Hittite display sounds intriguing - this may be a stupid question, but is it part of the Anatolian museum, or is it a separate museum? I don't see it listed in my guidebook...

So, hmmm, I still can't make up my mind what to do!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Hi again

Just looked at my entrance ticket. It is for the "Anatolian Civilisation Museum". So the tour company referred to it as the Hittite Museum but they are one and the same. Yes, I understand your dilema. Ankara is a bit "out of the way". But if you're really into antiquity you won't be disappointed. I have been to several of the big European museums but I haven't seen anything like this Hittite exhibition. Unfortunately our visit was too whirlwind to give the museum justice.

Now I'm not into rocks but I must admit Cappodocia was amazing. There is a thread in this forum on doing the ballon trip there. Some of our tour group did it. It is VERY expensive but they raved about it and a travel show I viewed stated it was one of the ten things you have to do before you meet your maker!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, again, worldinabag - but we still can't make up our minds! Argh, decisions decisions... Does anyone else have some insight on this? What is the minimum amount of days we should spend in Cappadocia to see the main sights? Thank you!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

OK, never mind. We have hemmed and hawed long enough, so we made a decision - we are going to pass on Ankara and spend an extra day in Cappadocia. The museum in Ankara sounds amazing, but... Cappadocia is Cappadocia, and there is nowhere else in the world like it - so that's our decision!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM

You know, when we went to Turkey, I didn't want to stop in Ankara, but Our guide for Cappadocia was picking us up at the airport there. We went to the Museum and also the Ataturk Museum, and it really impressed me. Ataturk played such a big part in making Turkey the country it is, that finding out about him was way more interesting then I thought it would be. You will see pictures of him everywhere! Like George Washington, only more so! Cappadocia is incredible, but the Ankara Museums are too.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Hi Meredith. I went on a memorable trip to Turkey last May, and while I would choose to spend an extra day in Istanbul or in Konya or see Ephesus or another site, I recommend that you not skip Ankara. Ataturk is very important to the Turkish people, and you would get some insight into their ideals/principles. It helped me understand the people.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:08 AM

The museum in Ankara is amazing, and even includes some Roman archeaology. The old town of Ankara is worth poking around, too. Your time is short, so it would depend on how badly you wanted to see the museum. It might be more relaxing if you don't try to push to get to Ankara. You can get an idea of what's in the museum here:
http://www.pbase.com/dosseman/ankara_museum_turkey