To a beach via Paris

Search

To a beach via Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To a beach via Paris

We are traveling to Paris for my wife's 35th birthday in June. We will be flying in to Paris and would like to spend a few days there seeing the major sights. We would then like to spend a day or so on the closest and nicest beach to Paris. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this without renting a car? My wife is uneasy about us driving in France. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM

The closest beaches would be in Normandy, but don't count on warmth in the month of June.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM

You could fly or train to Nice, but the Med's still freezing in June as well.

I personally can't get into the water anywhere in France until about mid-July.

And I don't think it's possible to effect your plan without a car anyway.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM

You'll have quite a few options, but your choice is going to depend on what you mean by "nice beach". I'm not sure any beaches in France look like perfect, sandy Caribbean beaches lined by palm trees.

But you could travel quite easily to La Rochelle by train and then possibly continue on to nearby Ile de Re. (I understand that Ile de Re is supposed to be somewhat like the Hamptons.) Check out www.iledere.com. La Rochelle is about a 3 hour journey by high speed TGV from Paris. My husband and I are going to La Rochelle in a few weeks (and planning to stay in a newly opened, sleekly designed Best Western , believe it or not; it's called the Masq Hotel). The region gets very, very, very busy in the summer - so if you're interested you should book asap.

You could also travel to Nice or somewhere similar, but if so, you might be better off flying than taking the train. The train is a fairly long journey (perhaps as much as five hours) and often pricy. You can fly more cheaply and even when you add in the time you have to spend getting to and waiting at the airport, the trip is shorter.

Another option would be Corsica. We just got back from an out-of-season visit. The beaches are reputed to be gorgeous (we spent more time in the mountains). Corsica also books up fairly quickly - and of course, you'd fly there (again, it's a quick trip - about a 1h20 minute flight).

Brittany is also a possibility, but it might not be hot enough in June to enjoy lazing on a beach.

Biarritz (also on the Atlantic), but it looks like a more complicated and lengthier trip.

One question, though. Why is your wife uneasy about driving in France? Do you come from a country that drives on the left? If not, the experience isn't going to be significantly different than driving at home. The roads are well-marked, you can download detailed itineraries from mappy.fr (which will even tell you how much the gas and tolls will cost and offer you alternative toll-less routes). Depending on your chosen destination, you might consider taking the train and then renting a car on arrival. This means you can relax for the long journey but have flexibility and independence once you arrive at your destination.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM

The Med's still freezing in June?! Duh! We've always been in June, to the Côte d'Azur, the Languedoc or the Roussillon and the weather has usually been perfect for the beach and to swim in the sea. Of course one can have a single day of rain or less warm, but it's never cold anyway.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Myriam, aren't you German? I rest my case.

I've been in Sète and Cap d'Agde and Mimizans-Plage and St-Jean-de-Luz and even my own swimming pool in late June and couldn't stand it for more than a few seconds.

And I grew up in New England. Maybe I've lost my spunk.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:45 PM

I've lived all my life here, at the mediterranean in Spain...and I've never touched the water until July
But I supposed each person is different...
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:48 PM

If you're used to a heated pool - or warm water - like the Carib or south Fla you might find the Med too cool (I wouldn.t risk Normandy). but if you're used to normal ocean water the Med in June should be fine (we do the North Atlantic in end of May with no problems). Yes - the water is cool - but isn;t that the purpose - to cool off after sitting in the sun?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM

If it were me...3 hours by morning TGV to La Rochelle (gorgeous train station facade-be sure to look back as your taxi pulls away).

Check in at the Hotel France-Angleterre-Champlain - a Best Western, English spoken, very romantic. Freshen up and slip on swim suit under clothes. Ask hotel to call taxi for your 1:00 lunch reservation at Coutanceau (beachfront, gourmet restaurant).

After marvelous, romantic lunch watching the waves roll onto the beach, walk out the door, spread beach towel (which was in your decorative cloth tote-bag the concierge gladly will have stored for you), remove street clothes (you'll see many folks do this while you dine) and voilà! You're ready for a couple of hours fun in the sun while you digest one of the finest meals ever.

Very nice, well maintained sand beach with a view of the old harbor's sail boat masts in the distance. Sometimes the sailboat school comes out with all their colorful sailboats all in a row like ducks...very relaxing and entertaining.

When done, slip back into clothes, walk the few blocks to the old harbor for a 'pero or café at one of the many cafés along the old harbor. If tired, grab a taxi back to hotel, but preferably walk through the impressive keep into the walled old town, taking in all the specialty stores along the arcaded street - 15 minutes, you're back at your hotel. Shower and relax in the intimate walled garden of he hotel. Doubtful you'll need dinner but there are plenty of excellent wine bars, crêperies etc in La Rochelle.

Taxi service (Les Abeilles or Les Abeilles Jaunes-can't remember) is excellent and as nothing is far, affardable. If weather is not swimming/sunning calliber, no problem, there is SOOO much to see and do in La Rochelle.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Another vote for La Rochelle. When we visted one summer, there was an amazing arts festival going on. Also, even if the beach is too cold for swimming, it's an interesting area to explore with tons of very good seafood restaurants.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM

I agree that La Rochelle is a wonderful seaside venue, and a fabulous town to wander around in. If you can get yourself out to Ile de Ré without a car, too, do it.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 01:01 AM

StCirq, I'm Belgian and everything above 20°C is - for us Belgians - warm enough for the beach. We're usually not spoiled with nice weather here.
I guess I would think differently if I lived in a warm climate year round.
Consider yourself fortunate!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM

klondike - What did you think of Coutanceau? For our end-of-March trip to La Rochelle, we are planning to have one meal at Coutanceau (pere) and another at one of his sons' restaurants.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Kate_W and klondike,

Thanks for the La Rochelle recommendation!

Klondike, you seem to understand just what we are trying to do. We made reservations at the Hotel France-Angleterre-Champlain and Coutanceau for lunch. I like the leisure time you recommended in the afternoon in La Rochelle. We plan to stay the night in La Rochelle and travel back to Paris the next day.

Do either of you have a recommendation for a hotel in Paris?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM

We like the 6th in Paris, personally. You can do research here on Fodor's and come up with pros and cons of the varioius arrondissements.

If money is not an issue, the Madison right on Blvd St. Germain is very nice. Le Régent is more middle of the road. Hotel Bonaparte is affordable and popular and probably where I would go if it were my first visit. Le Clément is okay - but rooms are very small and reception is a little "cool". Grand Hotel de l'Univers on Grégoire de Tours is a Best Western, but be sure to ask for a recently renovated room and if you are a light sleeper ask for a back side room. It has a lovely cellar breakfast room similar to that of Le Régent.

Oddly enough, we opt for the very funky, one starred Hotel St. André des Arts which is right across from the cobblestoned Cour du Commerce (Café Procope fame). Turn right as you exit and you are at the Buci Market, Turn left and go down the little ruelle and you are at the lovely Place St. Michel and its fountain. No elevator. No a/c...wouldn't recommend in June.

If you'd like me to email pix of La Rochelle and the hotel/restaurant/beach, just email me at [email protected]
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The absolutely closest coastal point to Paris is Dieppe. However, when Parisians want a quick trip to the beach, they go to Deauville-Trouville or Le Touquet (of which the official full name is "Le Touquet-Paris Plage&quot. I like all of the northern coastal beaches in France much more than the beaches farther south, especially Berck-sur-Mer with its sailing carts and its kite festivals (keep in mind that this means that it can be a very windy beach). Incredible wide expanses of fine sand and nothing chic about the place -- it is a working class resort with ugly charm.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:48 AM

Interestingly, it takes 3 hrs Paris - La Rochelle.

It is only 3hrs 15 mins by TGV to Montpellier on the Med.

And the South (well that part) is very different from Paris !

Peter
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Or of course just 3 hours to Marseille with its very popular Prado beach.