Road trip in Europe starting in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend in I are going to Paris in June for 9 nights. We are interested in renting a car and continuing our travels for another 5 or so days. Any recommendations?

We want to go somewhere not very touristy. We love the beach and would love to go to where the Parisians/locals go on holiday... We aren't looking for anything super fancy... just someplace with culture, good food and pretty scenery...

We are not limited to France either...

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Parisians don't go on holiday in June. If you want the beach then I suggest Honfleur and along the Normandy beach. This is a lovely area and has many centuries of culture
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 02:57 PM

Right now you can get tickets three months in advance RT for two for 44€ total going to Vannes (if I hit the wrong key, this may be a one-way price for two, still cheap). From there you can rent a car to visit the area around the Golfe de Morbihan.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...th/4899351926/
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM

I don't think it's going to be that warm, but I'd suggest you go to Brittany. At least it could be interesting, but the water isn't as warm as in the south on the Mediterranean (you don't have time to do a road trip down there). But if you are really serious about the beach thing and wanting to go in the water, you could take the high-speed train down to Marseille or Montpellier and then rent a car. Beaches west of Marseille are not as popular with tourists as those east (I think they have more sand, also).
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Beaches in France may not be our wide sandy beaches of the US (I assume). Take a train wherever you're going and rent a car. Go to the beach at home. Go visit another place and enjoy that in "wherever" you decide.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM

Check out the "beaches" carefully. Many are pebbles rather than sand - and few are anything like what you would expect in the US.

And in June you would probably want to head to Riviera by train and then rent a car there.

If it were me I would go someplace for the culture and the food - the US has way better beaches than any in France.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 08:46 PM

>>the US has way better beaches than any in France.<<

I don't know anything about the east coast or Texas beaches, but I've lived close to Calif beaches for 64 years. I/we lived in Laguna Beach for 4 years & Newport Beach for 2, plus lots of summer & Easter vacatons and weekends at So Cal beaches and beaches in the San Francisco area. My favorite beach is Pampelonne Beach close to St Tropez. Second favorite is Nice. Both quite decadent if you rest your bod at a private section of the beach where you can rent chaise lounges with matresses, tables, umbrellas, and a French restaurant where you can dine on mussels, fresh fish, pink wine, pommes frites, etc. We've spent many weeks at restort beaches in Mexico, Hawaii, and the Caribbean - but we prefer the Cote d'Azur.

Brittany is very nice also, but I've never considered that to be a "beach" region - just scenic shore. Positano on the Amalfi Coast in Italy is also a favorite.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 10:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The beaches of the Atlantic coast are magnificent sandy beaches, from the surf resorts of Hossegor to the sailing carts of Berck -- with the beaches of Normandy in between (visible in films like Saving Private Ryan or A Man and a Woman).

Just for the beach views, here is a report I made about Berck last year: http://tinyurl.com/2vl6ux6
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM
ira

Hi AA,

You might want to take the train to Montpellier (about 3:30 hr) and visit the beaches and towns of the Languedoc and Provence on the Med.