Tivoli-Villa Adrian and/or/both Villa d'Este

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an opportunity to tour Tivoli on my 9 day trip to Rome at the end of March. I have heard and read that Villa Adrian is much more enjoyable to visit than Villa d'Este.

Seeing both will increase my tour time from 4 to 6 hours and therefore cost more.

I am interested in hearing from those who have been there and their feelings about either/or place.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:01 AM

We have visited both of those places twice. They are totally different. I assume you have read about them so I won't describe the merits of each.

I can't understand how your tour time will increase by 4 to 6 hrs if you see both. Villa d'Est is about a 1 hour visit (the chateau is only OK - the water gardens are the draw) and Hadrian's Villa can be 2-3 hrs.

If you can't see both, I wold choose Hadrian's villa. My father-in-law was with us on our secomd trip & Hadrian's villa was one of the highlights of his trip to Italy.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:18 AM

Hi B,

I visited both as a day trip out of Rome in Sept. I very much enjoyed both for different reasons.

Hadrian's Villa because it was a bit more intact than some of the Rome sites and easier to tell more what it was actually like.

I loved Villa d'Este. The fountains and gardens were lovely and very relaxing. It was a real highlight. The Italian Renaissance garden I had always expected, but never found before.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! They both sound very interesting.

After much thought, we have decided to see both. I have checked a number of auto rental companies and I can get a rate of 90-100$ for the weekend of Mar. 25-26, which is much cheaper than a tour.

Since the Rome Marathon is Mar.26, many parts of central Rome will be very crowded in the morning. We'll go to Tivoli after our Scavi Tour at 9:30 Saturday and to Ostia Antica on Sunday!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:14 AM

Bl - Here's a photo tour:

http://sights.seindal.dk/sight/901_H...s_Villa-6.html

http://sights.seindal.dk/sight/901_Hadrians_Villa.html

http://vandyck.anu.edu.au/work/teach...9e/tivoli.html

Steve
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Very nice photos, Steve. We are definitely going to do both. Has anyone driven there from Rome? I'd like to know
if it's a pleasant drive and about how long it takes.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:08 AM

If you go by "expressway" it isn't particularly pleasant or unpleasant (depending on traffic conditions).

Personally, I was a bit disappointed with Hadrian's Villa (but after seeing ruins in other parts of Italy, Turkey, Greece, etc., I guess I'm a bit jaded) and much, much more impressed with the fountains at the Villa d'Este. I would agree these are the main reason people visit there.