Notices

Tipping in Prague

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tipping in Prague

Hi All...!!!
I read somewhere that we should leave a tip of 20 or 50 Czech Crowns in a restaurant. I'm not sure where I read this now and also if its right. Is tipping expected and if so how much?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:07 AM
Intrepid

Unless "service" is included on the bill then a tip is always appreciated whether it is "required" or not. I think that tipping is a very personal thing in terms of how much and I also think it has nothing to do with some of the so-called "guidelines" which probably were not formulated by anyone who has ever had to work for a tip.
That said, you might want to apply the following: "If YOU had just provided the service in question, would YOU expect a tip?"

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ps. see top..it sounded too little to me so thats why i'm asking.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
if you go elsewhere here at fodors.com under Destinations, you are likely to find tips on tipping in Prague--tipping suggestions are provided for most destinations.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small though it seems, 20-50ck is about right. Be sure to give your waiter(ess)the tip. Czechs don't leave tips on the table.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Service is not included in the price in Czech Republic. I always tip for dinner or a car drive, but wouldn't for a drink or something like that. I tip about 10 pct if the service was good, which it usually is. I don't believe in tipping such a small amount even if that's what Czechs do because I know I can well afford more than 20-50 crowns and that the income level is a lot lower over there. I feel better about leaving a decent tip there than I often do in the US. I would never think of leaving a 20-50 crown (which I think is only about US $0.75-1.50 or so) tip on a dinner costing US$25-35, for example. Lots of times I don't spend that much on dinner there, but I have in really nice restaurants. I never noticed what Czechs do or heard they want money handed to them directly, but I don't do that and wouldn't like it. I either put it on the bill if I'm paying by CC (although some places don't like that, I think there are some funny card charging rules there) or on the table. Often, there is no opportunity to give it directly to a server, anyway.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was in Prague, what I found to be common in the restaurants, was for the server to provide you with the check, however, the servers did not handle the money. The cashier/manager came to your table to settle the bill. I don't recall paying for many dinners by credit card, however, I was told that it was appropriate to hand the tip in cash directly to the server.

On two different occasions when I dined with people from Prague, I was told that I tipped too much and to only leave a few crowns. The servers are actually paid a decent hourly wage unlike waiters and waitresses in the US that rely on tips. The 25-50 crown guide to tipping, however, is per person. I believe that the exchange rate is approximately 38 crowns to the US dollar, if that is any help.