Search

TIPPING IN PORTUGAL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIPPING IN PORTUGAL

Tipping

We just returned from Portugal after 3 ½ weeks (Algarve). My husband used to do business in Leiria area from late 1960s until ten years ago. During this time we travelled Portugal from north to south and saw the country transformed to more affluence. What I love about Portugal is it retains and is proud of it’s history,its heritage. We still visit villages almost as they were hundreds of years ago. We love the country. This was the first time we spent such a long time in the Algarve and we explored from east to west by car.

I should have asked this question before since it’s about 10 years since our last visit. Still, it may help others to have this information on tipping because things have changed. Please add your comments.

Is tipping required? Are gratuities included in the price?
North Americans tip at home (I’m from Canada) for just about everything and not just for exceptional service. There was a time when it was not necessary to tip in Portugal.

While no one has to tip anywhere if one does not wish to (unless included), could some authors who live in Portugal comment on the following situations. Where we tipped may seem inappropriate - too much or too little or shouldn’t have.

Airport car rental office.
Young man handled and loaded cheerfully & efficiently our many bags (three people).
Five euros

Hotel housekeepers. 15 E
21 days

Hotel dining room staff.
Three breakfast/dinners (half meals) three times a week for three weeks.
Nice service. (for two weeks there were three of us, and one week two)
45 euros for dinner service and 15 euros for breakfast buffet.

Meals outside at average restaurants.
Didn’t leave tips at first, then 5-10%

Two-day bus trip to Lisbon.
Excellent, professisonal guide and driver. 40 for three people

Taxis. Didn’t take any but might be of interest
Hairdressers: Didn’t use.

Thanks.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Canadian vs. Euro

The exchange rate was very high about $1.65CD per Euro. While this should not really affect what we leave, the cost in our dollars is very high.

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM

michi, I am delighted to suddenly see here a few new questions and comments about Portugal.

This summer, we will be taking our first trip to Portugal (Lisbon, Cascais, Lagos) so your tipping post got me thinking about this and other things such as proper etiquette in Portugal. There have been lots of tips here for France and Italy as far as what to do/say upon entering a shop before even asking about an item, touching fruit and vegetables when shopping for them, etc. but I haven't seen anything about Portugal. A lot of it is common sense and just plain being polite, but are there any tips you have on proper etiquette in Portugal - things that we should be careful to do/say when we are shopping, at a restaurant, sight-seeing, etc.? We do not want to offend anyone because we do not know the customs.

Maybe I should have posted this as a separate question, but tipping etiquette made me think of etiquette in general.

Thanks for any help you or anyone else can give.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Marianna,

There are so many countries in Europe (unlike say Canada, China, Australia), answers on the smaller less visited countries are difficult to get. I posted my question twice because it didn't show up for two days. By then it was buried deep in the forum.

Although I have travelled in Portugal on a number of occasions, I am still a visitor so can only answer certain questions. There are good answers by Portuguese people or people who live there who can advise on culture, etiquette, and other matters. There are other forums that can be helpful on the internet as well. Some guide books are helpful (but not all) so choose carefully and take one with you. Wherever you go you will find helpful information available at most (but not all) Turismo, hotel and other locations. I find I can only absorb so much about a country before going and some things are best left until you get there when the orientation is clearer and choices are made with the help of local people.

I suggest you post a question along the lines of: PORTUGAL TRAVEL HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED. Such a posting could be helpful to others as well. I will answer your post where I can. Include the following information.

What country you are from?
When will you be in Portugal.
How long will you be in Portugal?
How long in each area?
Who is travelling.
Will you have a car?
What kind of accommodations will you have (kitchen?)
Tipping?
any special etiquette to be observed?
If you mention Lagos, mention that it is in the Algarve
What preferences do you have in places to see and experience (nature, nightclubs, and so on)

I can give you a visitor's point of view. We are told that visitors from Canada and the US are few; most are from GB, Germany and other European countries. As for etiquette, I think if nothing else, one should learn to say please and thank you in the land of travel and don’t forget your smile. Good manners are appreciated, demanding, stressed out requests are not even though it sometimes gets you places faster. My motto when travelling is to be a good guest.

You can also email me at [email protected] for info as well. Have fun.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:09 AM

I would like to know in what country it is considered "poor etiquette" to tip someone who has performed a service for you, such as cleaning your room, serving you food, etc., etc.

Some of these tasks would be described as "menial" by some people and they would also be the last thing on earth they would ever do themselves.

Please enlighten me as to where there are people doing these things that would be "insulted" by being offered money as a gesture of thanks or a job well-performed.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Intrepid1

I'm not sure who you are addressing regarding "insulting" people with a tip.

And yes, believe it or not tips have been refused by lowly paid workers more than once and done with dignity by the intended recipient. They have not been insulted by the offer nor have I been insulted by their refusal. And in some countries like Japan, until recent years, this was quite commonplace. And some of the services rendered would knock your socks off.