Search

Which town in Algarve Region, Portugal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which town in Algarve Region, Portugal?

Hello all,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Portugal and Spain in September. Looking for some suggestions in where to stay in the Algarve region. We are looking for uniqueness, away from the pack of tourists, charm, even a small village off the beaten path to experience the culture etc. I've been doing some research and it seems that Tavira has some charm and what not.

Any thoughts or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM
rex

topping...
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:48 AM

I did answer your other post on the same question.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:29 AM

Hello Carlos,

During our research for our upcoming summer trip to Portugal, I did find some positive comments about Tavira - "quaint, gorgeous, old-world with lots of character". For some reason, you won't get a lot of responses here for Portugal questions in contrast to the abundance of responses to Italy and France questions. It seems to me that not too many Fodorites vist Portugal compared to other places in Europe. There are a few people who answer questions about Portugal, among them lobo-mau, bob the navigator, and a few others who have been helpful and have responded to my questions. Maybe one or two will read this and be able to give you some specific information about Tavira.

In the meanwhile, I found this website and thought you might find it interesting:

http://www.portugal-info.net/

Have a wonderful trip!

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:39 AM

http://www.discoverportugal2day.com
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!!
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Hi we did Spain and Portugal summer of 2003.On the Algarve we stayed in Tavira and Lagos. Tavira was wonderful, lovely little harbour area. We took the ferry to the National park to spend a day on the beach. Good food, awesome peri-peri(spicy) chicken and shrimp. Of all the towns on the Algarve we thought it was the nicest. Lagos being further down the coast made for an easy drive to see Sagres and that end of the coast. If you are looking for a tourist town with street markets, lots of hotels and timeshare units(nothing wrong with them we own 2 ) then go to Albufeira which did have a much larger beach and many restaurants and was really busy in contrast to Tavira. Tavira was wonderful. I think I do have a report on here somewhere, just do a search if you interested. Happy travels.
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:47 AM

Tavira is a great town!
Peacefull, by the river, lots of old churches, one castle, the old market, the roman bridge... everything is there to please you.
Try the local pastry made with almonds and egg cream (torta de amendoa). Try the pastry shop close to the roman bridge and watch the time going by...
all the best!
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks....I'll start building my itinerary shortly. Did you rent a car or took the bus or train to hop from town to town?
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:02 AM

We just got back from the Algarve again. We like Lagos (but notin July and August), Silves and Monchique. The last time I was in Tavira was 5 years ago and it felt dead to me, which was a change b/c the architecture was lovely. I am glad to hear that it has changed. I like Silves b/c of the art shops and the strong moorish influence. They have a great torture museum which is a bit too graphic for children. MOnchique is cool, green and restful. It is also up and coming as a lot of Non-Portuguese are actually moving there.
Cheers,
Jan