What to do in Portugal?

Search

What to do in Portugal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Portugal?

I am planning a trip to portugal in early october and was wondering if there were any "must do's" while there. I hope to spend time in Lisbon, and in the Douro Valley as well. Key questions: should we rent a car or go on train, I hear the drivers are bad there. How about staying at the pensao's? We have up to two weeks. Any help is appreciated-thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:38 PM
cindiloowho

Oh Monica! We love, absolutely LOVE PortugaL, and it our destination of choice...given a choice. What's to do??? wow!!! Lisbon is very historic, and reasonably clean; however, we prefer the country and the beaches. If you go a bit north (roads are really good and they drive very well in our opinion, although many of the arterials are toll roads...signs are very clear, etc., etc.) to Cascais and stay at the "Pergola" in town, it is fab little quinta right in the center; or go even furether north/central to the Douro Valley...we stayed mostly in the Posaudas, but there was a wonderful little home we booked for 4 days and fell in love with everything about it. If you write again for interest, I will send you the link...We use Karen Brown pretty much exclusively and she has never done us wrong. However, if you prefer beaches, some of the worlds best are to the south on the Algarve....go to Sagres if you get down that way...one of the most interesting places I have ever been...and the oceanscapes are to die for. Remember, Portugal is about the size of California, so you can get from one end to the other in a day. People are nice, most speak some English, and they like Americans!! Hope you have a wonderful time.

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 09:14 PM

Don't believe everything you hear about drivers in Portugal. Yes, they drive fast, so on a four lane road always stay in the right lane. On a two lane road pull over when you can to let the backup behind you pass. It's common sense really.

We have driven from Lisbon to various areas in northern Portugal on three different trips and are always ready to go back!

The small towns are lovely, the people are friendly and will literally go blocks out of their way to help you, and the food is fabulous and plentiful.

On our trips to northern Portugal we have encountered very few English speaking tourists, which suits us just fine!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:29 AM

suggestion for alternative activity: http://www.rupestre.net/tracce/12/arccoa.html
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:01 AM

MonicaM, hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your question, but since there are some people answering Portugal questions right now, I thought I could get a little help also and maybe help you at the same time.

Does anyone have a few restaurant recs for the Cascais and Lagos areas?

Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:09 AM

We put 1800 km on the car we rented for nine days and never had a problem driving.
Also, we found the car rental to be one of the most reasonable so far in Europe.
We did leave the car at the Braga train station (underground, safe) when we went into Porto for the day.
We had no problem with parking except I think Porto and also we dropped the car at the airport before we stayed three nights in Lisbon.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:29 AM

Don't miss the wonderful experience of a Fado Bar/Club whilst in Lisbon. Walk around the Barrio Alto section of town. Ride the Gloria Funicular. Visit the Monastery and Chapel of St. Jerome in the Belem Section. The tomb of Vasco de Gama is located in the chapel. Visit the Belem Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries, both on the banks of the Tagus near the Chapel.

If you get this far north, don't miss the Battle Abbey in Batalha. Built to keep a promise made to the Virgin Mary by Juan I after a victory over the Spanish in 1385. Contains the tomb of Henry the Navigator.

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Sintra, Obidos, Viseu [sp?]. 3 great towns to spend a couple nights each in. Drive, absolutely! Having gone thrice and driven each time, never had issues. They are assertive and fast---but, so am I behind the wheel. Globe pequot Press puts out a series of places to stay, and their Portugal guide is superb! We stayed at a working winery/quinta in the Douro Valley that is also a pensao. Very neat! Check out the Globe peq. website; you can order the book online. It made our trip! Don't miss the nautical museum in Lisbon.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 07:47 PM

MY husband and I were just saying today that we wish we could have one of the wonderful custard tarts that are popular all over Portuga but the BEST are at the blue pastiseria in Belem.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 02:32 PM
cindiloowho

One added thought...when renting a car, do NOT accept an auto with no parking break..the one Avis gave us (French Renault) had the parking break incorporated somehow and was "automatic". that is, it kicked in after you turned off the engine. Some of the places we visited were exceeding hilly and steep, with narrow roads (Douro Valley environs) and there was no assurance that you wouldn't roll backward as you shifted/depressed clutch. Yikes...

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:57 AM

I highly recommend going to Sintra for day and definitely take the train from Lisbon. It only cost about 2 or 3 euros and there was so much traffic in the town it would be a nightmare to try to find a parking spot. The town itself is not the best, but climb up to the Moorish ruins (all the way up) and go to the palace as well. It is all within walking distance of the train station. I also recommend Evora to see some Roman ruins and get a feeling of the Portuguese locals. I took the bus there and it was fine. In Lisbon, you must see St. Geronimo's monastery, the coach museum, the Monument to the Discoveries, (all in Belem) and the castle in the Alfama region. Plus there is plenty of nice strolling in the town centre.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:45 AM

We spent 12 days in Portugal about 2 months ago and enjoyed it very much. Check out our trip on the following web page:

http://www.travel.stv77.com/portugal/pt.htm
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:35 AM

Hello sssteve, I enjoyed reading about your recent trip. We returned a week ago from our 2 week trip and had a fabulous time!

For the first week, we stayed at a B&B, Casal Antigo, in the hills of Cascais near Malviera da Serra. It was very nice and in a great spot for visiting Sintra, Mafra, Ericiera, Lisbon, Estoril, etc. We enjoyed Cascais - the pedestrian center was great! We loved just walking around day and evening and stopping to enjoy the views, shops, etc. We had dinner in the Sagres Restaurant on Rua da Flores - reasonably priced and delicious. We learned from the B&B owners to avoid the restaurants along Guincho Beach and never buy a fish dinner priced by weight of the fish in any restaurant - very expensive.

We spent the second week in the Algarve. We rented a villa in Porto Dona Maria near Luz. That was also a convenient spot for visiting towns along the southern and western coast and those in the hills also. While here, we shopped in the huge Intermarche in Lagos and cooked our own meals. We enjoy cooking so that worked out just fine for us. We ate out a few times if we were out and about and we had a lovely dinner at the restaurant at the fort in Praia da Luz.

I haven't written a report yet since it takes me a long time to get back into my time zone.

Happy travels to you and thanks for the interesting report!