Notices

Tipping at B&Bs

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping at B&Bs

We will be spending 14 nights in 7 different B&Bs in Scotland and Ireland this summer. Are we supposed to tip the owners in addition to paying what they charge?
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Good question. We haven't stayed in B&Bs in Scotland/Ireland, but in other parts of the world we have usually left tips. The places we have stayed were not necessarily owner-occupied but most often managed/staffed by employees. I think that might be the determinant for B&Bs in general. Any other opinions out there?
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:21 PM

No, you don't tip at a B&B. Usually there is no staff - only the owners/family. Sometimes they do bring in someone to help w/ cleaning or serving if they do evening meal. but even then, a tip is not expected.

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Unless Janis is referring specifically to Scotland and Ireland, I would respectfully disagree about who is "on site." The last B&B we stayed at (Vancouver) was owned by a couple who live outside the city. The wife happened to be there when we arrived, but we didn't see her again for three days.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:22 PM

Last time I checked this was the "Europe" Board.

B&Bs in most parts of Europe are nothing like the things called B&Bs in parts of North America. A B&B is a private home where they rent 1 to maybe 4 rooms by the night and the owners live ther too . . . . .
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:32 PM

We owned a B&B in England ,We did'nt expect a tip ,but the waiters who were usually students were tipped somtimes,
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:28 AM

I've never tipped in a B&B in Ireland. And, with maybe 2 exceptions, every B&B I've ever stayed in (mostly in the US) have had the owners living on site.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:17 AM

I would never leave a tip at a British or Irish B and B. I, a Brit, would feel I was being patronising and imperious. Leave a nice note, or send a postcard when you get back. Money talks, but good manners say much more.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:38 AM

Totally agree. A tip would be wholly inappropriate. If you think they've been very good hosts, leave them something- and I mean a token, not a big thing) or say so.

Unless it's a biggish guesthouse, it's unlikely there will be any staff who are not family.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:57 AM

I usually leave a tip for any meal that is not included, i.e., if I eat breakfast and it's part of the room rent, I don't tip. If it is extra for dinner, and I eat there, I'll tip -- I figure any tip would be included in the original cost for the original services.

I've been in probably 20 different B&Bs around Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the UK. All but one were owner operated. The one was more of a hotel in Wales (PRince Charles B&B in Caernarvon), though it said B&B -- had 20 rooms and a full service restaurant, no family/owners about.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:26 AM

GreenDragon,
Please tell me how exactly you tip on these occasions. Do you leave the right amount in your room, or do you hand it to the landlord/landlady? As a non-tipper in these situations, I am fascinated how you do it without causing embarrassment to either yourself or the person taking the tip. I truly do not encourage the tipping of BandB owners. It simply is not British! When I come to the US, I tip accordingly.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:57 PM

Only at the meal that I am eating, on the table, like I would in a restaurant. I figure it's for the extra service of dinner/lunch, as that's what's not included in the B&B part of the deal

Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:18 AM

If the meal is paid for there and then, then I suppose it is OK. But if the meal will be added to your final bill to be paid when you check out, leaving a couple of quid on the table seems very odd to me. Trust me! I understand you want to show your gratitude, but please and thankyou are enough this side of the water in such a situation.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:48 AM

I stand corrected -- however, I had one B&B where the waitress was definitely hired staff, not family -- we chatted a bit, and she told us as part of the conversation. In that case, I would feel that she is earning a wage, and should therefore be tipped, no?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:37 AM

We shall never agree on this. I do not tip unless necessary. It is necessary in the US where a non-tip would cause much loss of face and income, at least where the tipee is concerned. It is patronising and feudal. Service charges should, in my view, be incorporated into the overheads, ie. what you see is what you pay. Don't worry, in the US I grit my teeth and stump up the 15+%, although I have reduced it on occasions, and explained why. Happy money-throwing!