Notices

Tipping ----- B & B's in Ireland

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping ----- B & B's in Ireland

What is the tipping etiquette for the dining room and housekeeping staff?
Yes or no, and how much?
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:00 AM

I didn't know there was a tipping etiquette. We usually leave a couple of Euro a night in the room. Sometimes we tip at breakfast - depends upon the circumstances.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
B&B's don't usually have "staff"-- it is the owner and his/her family. And really, tipping is highly unexpected.

Sometimes they do bring in local teens or cleaning ladies to help out a couple of hours a day - you aren't likely to have an occasion to tip anyone.

Hotels -- that is different -- but even there, Europeans tip MUCH less than Yanks tend to . . . .
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, this will be a new experience for us in B & B's. And, yes, as "Yanks" we do tend to overtip.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Tipping in a B&B??? - would never even occur to the vast majority of Europeans. You're staying in someone's house after all and paying the owner and his family when you settle up. Would just feel very awkward to me to hand over an unexpected tip as well. Having said that a lot of businesses in touristy areas of Europe are well aware that the tipping thing in hardwired into US DNA (despite the customs of the countries they are visiting) and so maybe people wouldn't be too surprised after all.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 09:45 AM

If the service is good why not show your appreciation. B&B owners are usually hard workers and will never be millionaires. They do it for the life style. Do you not appreciate that someone shows you have done a good job?
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

>

That's why I was asking. We have traveled many times in Europe but not Ireland, and we have never stayed in a B & B. Hotels and apartments are the norm for us----yes to tips in hotels and no in apartments.

Sorry I was so silly to ask!!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 10:26 AM

This question - and one answer - imply tipping IS usual at American B&Bs.

Which, if true - and I find it hard to believe - is mortifying. It's never occurred to me to tip business owners, of any sort, anywhere. And given the general demeanour of most US B&B owners, I can't imagine any of them would want to be an exception.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM

TPAYT - you misunderstand the target of my comments I think. You didn't ask a silly question, in fact you are doing the right thing by seeking advice on this. What does annoy are a hard-core of your compatriots who, despite being advised that it's not the done thing, go ahead and do it anyway and convince themselves they're right and those who don't tip are somehow unappreciative or tightfisted because they don't throw their money around in such a vulgar and unnecessary display.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 11:37 AM

I don't stay in B&Bs very often because I don't like them, but have never heard of tipping people who own their own business in the US or anywhere. That's all a B&B is, tipping doesn't even make sense as they are setting their own rates. It's not like employees who may only get a small wage from the owner of some business. In any case, I have never tipped in any B&B in the US, either, and have never heard of that.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM

"If the service is good why not show your appreciation. B&B owners are usually hard workers and will never be millionaires. They do it for the life style. Do you not appreciate that someone shows you have done a good job?"

Even in tip happy USA, one doesn't normally tip the owner of an establishment. That goes doubly for B&Bs IMO. They charge what the think is fair for the services/quality provided. (I don't generally tip in US B&Bs either)

TPAYT: Please re-read Gordon_R's two posts. I don't think he was saying anything derogatory about you at all.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the support. We have been in Europe many times, but have never stayed in a B & B. Our favorite country is France so we are used to paying top dollar for some lovely places to stay.

In one gorgeous chateaux we stayed in, we were served breakfast by some nice young girls, but it was more of a hotel, breakfast included, so we tipped her.

I wasn't sure how the Ireland B & B system worked. No, I wouldn't tip an owner, but I wouldn't want to slight a worker.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 01:20 AM

You will never convince those who do not like to tip to tip.
But you can with good service, convince those who like to tip to tip.
It all comes down to your personality.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 03:24 AM

We stay in B&Bs for preference because we like the atmosphere and the contact, and have done for many years. It would never occur to me to tip the owner although we usually take little gifts.
Having had a B&B of our own (in Spain) for several years I have never received or expected a tip but we do often get nice little gifts. These are usually something typical from the guest's own area or a really well-thought out item that has been bought locally when they have seen the house. They are always very much appreciated.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 03:41 AM

two continents divided by a confusion over tipping.

I always ask, do you tip your lawyer?
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 05:28 AM

ribeirasacra:"You will never convince those who do not like to tip to tip. But you can with good service, convince those who like to tip to tip. It all comes down to your personality."

That's crazy. This has nothing at all to do w/ personality -- Or w/ being cheap as you imply. This is a situation where tipping is not expected, not requested, not generally done.

I don't avoid tipping -- I'm a pretty typical 'over-tipping' Yank -- but I try to do it when/where it is appropriate and at a family run B&B -- it isn't IMO . . . .
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Many b&b owners hire help to come in and clean the rooms - and they hire help for the kitchen. It depends upon the size of the b&b. So I think it is a matter of personal preference - wanting to tip or not tip.

We stay in b&bs in Europe all the time when we can find one with a good review and good location. There is usually someone there who will take a personal interest and give you a lot of information if you need it. We rarely stay in a b&b in the USA as they are so expensive.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM

"Many b&b owners hire help to come in and clean the rooms - and they hire help for the kitchen."

If there is housekeeping help, you'll know it and can tip if you want, I'd leave one euro per day. But if the family is doing the cleaning, I would not tip.

B&B is bed and breakfast and are usually limited to a few rooms to rent. I don't know why they would hire help to prepare breakfast. I've stayed in B&B's in the states and in Ireland and in all of them, it was the owners who cooked and served breakfast, which usually consisted of cold cereals, jams, pastry and one hot dish -- maybe pancakes or eggs in some form.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 06:25 AM

I never thought to tip when staying at a B&B but at times I've thought owners should leave a tip for us because Ron and I are such wonderful guests in their home If staying multiple days I don't request fresh towels each day, I use my own products rather than those that they provide and make every effort to keep our room tidy.

This September we will be spending 18 of our 22 nights at B&B's in Ireland. I'm not concerned about tipping but how much weight I could gain if I eat all those Irish breakfasts Deborah
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM

As an owner of a B&B in Ireland .

I would like to add my bit I think I speak for many owners, Irish people are a nation of tippers no matter where they go in the world they will always leave a tip, it makes no difference if we are in a restaurant we will always leave a few euros , in a hotel or bed and breakfast we will always leave a tip in the bedroom just because we are the owners it does not mean we dont like a tip of course we like to get a tip just like anyone else. When Irish people stay they will nearly always leave a tip if they are here for a few days they will always give an extra 5 euro tip for a coffee which we apricate very much .
So dont feel you have to give one but do give one if you feel like it as I said it will be most appreciated.
A lot of B&B's now have a helper to help with the rooms they love to get an tip in the room it makes them feel like they are doing a good job.
When I go to my hairdresser she is the owner but I always give her a tip why not just because she ownes the place does not mean she should not get a tip I treat her the same as the other staff.
Have a nice trip to Ireland and dont worry about tipping it is not a must but it is welcome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO