Search

Tipping at a B&B

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping at a B&B

I was taught to leave a tip for the maid when staying at a hotel

This is our first stay in a B&B (in Ireland, if it matters) and we have been treated exceptionally well by the proprietess. My wife asked if we should leave a tip. Part of me says no, you don't tip the business owner; but the other part says this is somewhat like the situation with a maid.

What are your feelings.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:38 AM

Depends how long you have been there? One or two nights a thanks and promise of a good review on a travel forum more than 3 nights as above plus a bunch of flowers from the local supermarket (<€10)rather than cash.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In the US, you typically don't tip the owner because they are making the money from the business, not depending on a wage. In Europe, they don't tip anywhere near as much or as often in the US.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:48 AM

"What are your feelings."

No. End of story.

"I was taught to leave a tip for the maid when staying at a hotel"

I was taught not to impose my culture on others. When in Ireland...
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 05:21 AM

There is no tipping in B&Bs. In six years I have been tipped once and I accepted it only because I did not want to embarrass the elderly guest. However, a letter of thanks afterwards is always very pleasant to receive.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Never tip in a B&B where the only people working are the proprietors. I'd agree with Tony that flowers are a nice way to express appreciation (or chocolates, or a bottle of wine -- depending on what you know about people's tastes).

I don't use B&Bs much, but spent a few days in one last week, in Dingle. There was an employee there who was exceptionally helpful (including doing some internet research in her own time because she became interested in something we chatted about). That sort of thing merits a tip. Putting my breakfast on the table in front of me rather than spilling it on to my lap doesn't.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

This is in Dingle, too, where we will be a week. Extra services have included picking us up at the station, and driving us to the station, driving us to the Blasket Island cultural center and picking us up, throwing our laundry in with the linen washing and drying (I thought someone had stolen my underwear), and the normal making tour arrangements and giving advice on restaurants and sites. My mother doesn't treat us this well. I think I'll look for an appropriate gift.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't ever tip IN IRELAND...why?

ask Padraig...the answer USED TO BE "they aren't used to it here and if you lousy Americans keep DOING IT then the locals will get spoiled and expect it..from the rest of us."

MY answer is this: if you thinkl the service you received from the owner or anybody else DESERVES a tip then t=you tip them.

You do not need permission to do what you already KNOW will be welcomed and appreciated BY THE PERSON YOU ARE TIPPING and not a bunch of strangers on some message board.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM
ira

Hi cb,

The proprietor is charging you a daily rate based on what she thinks is fair.
a tip is not required, and might be unwelcome.

As noted, a small gift upon leaving for extra special service would be more appropriate.

Old Aug 26th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Oh dear! Just remember that Dukey is a lousy American, with strong cultural imperialist leanings and a tendency to punctuate his utterances with a random pattern of shouting. And he is a stranger on the internet, so you should follow his advice in one respect and disregard his opinions.

When you mention station, do you mean railway station? In Tralee? And then from Dingle to the Blasket Centre: that's a bit more than down the road a little bit. That's really a lot of extra service.

This B&B deserves favourable mention here. And perhaps a voucher for a dinner in one of Dingle's better restaurants ("Out of the Blue" if they like fish; The Charthouse if you are unsure).