Time to Clear Customs in Glasgow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be traveling from US to Scotland in late May. Our flight arrives in Glasgow at 7:00AM. Would it be possible to catch an 8:30 flight with Flybe to Islay that same morning or is that risky timewise?

Another consideration is to rent a car at the airport and drive to Kennacraig to catch the 1300 ferry (we'd have to arrive before 12:30). I've seen widely varying reports of how long that drive can take so would appreciate some advice.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 04:59 AM

In general I have found that Glasgow is one of the rare places where US citizens get through faster than EU passport holders since there are far fewer of them. It is immigration that is your issue since unless you have something to declare, you just walk out through the green door.

The real issue is whether your plane will be on time. If it is ontime, you have no problem. You can check the on time arrival percentage at Flightaware and a number of other sites.

I can't help with the driving.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Flybe will close checkin 45 minutes before departure, it may be a bit tight if your flight is late.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM

The drive to the ferry is just under 100 miles and will take you around 2.5 hours without stops (difficult as you will pass lots of great scenery that deserves some stops). Having said that I really would NOT recommend you make this sort of drive on the same morning you fly in on a long haul flight. You will most likely be jet-lagged and disoriented. The A82 past Loch Lomond is a notorious accident blackspot that demands your full alertness.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Insufficient time to make the flight, too dangerous to drive. Your options therefore are

1) Take the evening flight to Islay
2) Take the airport coach to Glasgow, Citylink coach to Kennacraig, then Calmac ferry to Islay. You might be able to catch the 9:15am coach from Glasgow which would mean arriving in Islay sometime around 3:00pm, the midday coach from Glasgow means arriving on Islay at 8:00pm
3) Change your plans so you don't go to Islay the day you arrive
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
alanRow lists the only practical options IMO. You definitely 100%+ do NOT want to make that drive from GLA after an overnight flight. It is a long/beautiful/tiring drive.

You could, but most likely won't, make the morning FlyBe flight.

so either take the coach and relax watching the scenery go by or take the late flight. OR you could spend the day/night in Glasgow and take FlyBe the next morning . . .
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM

I'd have thought that time was fine. I wouldn't expect it to be too tight a turn around.

The bus picks up at he airport at 8.08am

http://www.islayinfo.com/travel.html
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 08:07 AM

Sheila: "<i>I'd have thought that time was fine. I wouldn't expect it to be too tight a turn around.</i>"

Possibly. They'll have 45 mins for deplaning, immigration and luggage before FlyBe's check in shuts. But if they land even just 10 or 15 mins late they are SOL.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 03:34 AM

Can you book through? Much more chance you'd make the connection- serious delays in incoming flight apart.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Sheila - we're talking different airlines here so I'd be amazed if you could check luggage thru to Islay. This connection is just too tight.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:46 AM

FlyBe's luggage rules are entirely different and I'd be VERY surprised if they could check bags through. Plus they'll most likely have to check (and pre-pay) their carry on's since transatlantic carriers will usually have a more generous allowance.

I only ever use carry on --but in May when taking FlyBe, my normal carry-on has to be checked.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 03:43 AM

I realise it's not VERY likely but you can sometimes do it if the airlines are grouped. It might be worth the call.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your helpful comments. We're opting to book the later flight (17:00) with their Economy Plus ticket. On the off chance we could arrive/clear customs and immigration timely, we may be able to change to the earlier flight and be in Islay just after 9:00. Otherwise, we'll spend a bit of time in Glasgow. In any event, we agree driving on arrival is NOT a good idea.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM

OK. Are you going to the Festival? So am I
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Yes Sheila, we'll be at the festival. We didn't even know about it until after we'd booked our flights to Scotland. Then decided to make Islay our first destination so we could check out the festival. We'll be in Islay for 2 nights, the 29th and 30th.

Have any good Islay pointers for us or things we should know about festival time?
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 06:54 AM

I have an Islay doc, I did some years ago for folks who I met through Fodors whom I took to Islay for a few days. Email me and I'll send it to you. Where are you staying?

Have you looked at the programme? Lagavulin are doing a Folk evening on the 29th which I hope to go to. The two days you're there are Lapraoig's day and Bowmore's. I know Bowmore expect to publish their day's programme this coming week.

What do you like? What attracted you to Islay in the first place?
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Well, I do wish Fodor's would send me a notice when there is a reply -- maybe I haven't found an automated way to do that here?

Back to your questions ... we have been checking on the festival website every few days to check for updates. None really lately, but did notice the Folk Night for Lagavulin and featured day for Laphroaig on the day we arrive. Am curious what a "Folk Night" entails and what is required to participate?

Owing to our somewhat late attempts at planning, we're staying our first night at Islay Hotel in Port Ellen and the 2nd at the Port Charlotte Hostel (yes, that's a bit on purpose as we've never stayed at a hostel and hear that one is very good). Besides, that will be our second night after landing ... we expect to be VERY tired. LOL

We were drawn to Islay initially just by the fact of some of our favorite distilleries and the coastal/ocean life aspect. (We live on the East Coast of the US and enjoy boating locally -- will be interesting to compare some of what we've experienced as ocean communities here with there in Scotland. We simply love being near the strength of the ocean, even if it's cold.) Hoping to do a good bit of walking and/or biking -- will it be too much to expect to rent bikes during festival week?

Mostly, I think we'll be glad to take the slower pace of island life to get ourselves adjusted to our new surroundings, absorb a sense of the region, enjoy a few drams and possibly a bit of real ale (my husband has recently begun brewing ale again). With any luck, I might even fit in a swim session at the Bowmore center (I currently swim daily and am wondering how to adjust.)

Hope you have a great visit while there!