EDI Customs

Mar 19th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

EDI Customs

First Timers to Scotland. I am planning an essentially 4 day trip (arrive via red-eye on WE 07/14; depart SU 07/18) for hubby and myself that is centered around attend'g the Open at St. Andrews on Th and FR. Will be staying in B&B in Anstruther We - Fr. I have done some reading and have good idea on what I would like to try and fit into this trip but would like info on time, so plan is realistic. What is average time to clear customs and pick up rental car at EDI? Realise this is 'high season' but thinking that Wednesday (and based on assumption that we will get some sleep on plane) would be better day to squeeze in some Edinburgh sites before heading up to Anstruther - How best to travel from airport to Edinburgh?Park? How is traffic and speeds on roads during this time (to factor realistic drive times)? So excited for this trip!!!
Mar 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM

You likely aren't asking about Customs at all. It is Immigration (Passport Control) that might take time. But I've never been delayed at all at EDI. Most ever was 15 minutes -- usually less.

You do not want to drive into/in Edinburgh -- and especially not after a long haul flight. The driving is very congested and the parking is difficult. If you want to go into the city for a look-see -- then don't pick up the car. Take the airport coach into the city and spend a couple of hours seeing a bit. Take the coach back out to EDI and then collect the car and head out to Fife.

Driving after an overnight flight (even in the unlikely event you get a restful sleep) is not recommended -- but since you booked in Anstruther from your first night, it really can't be avoided. But do as little driving as possible - no jaunts into Edinburgh for sure.
Mar 20th, 2010, 02:42 AM

Just to warn you that the route from EDI, across Firth of Forth into Fife and then along the coast to Anstruther isn't entirely hassle-free. I did the journey last July (without the Open crowds of course). Be very careful when emerging from EDI to take the right road for Forth Road Bridge - there have been a lot of new road constructions and junction improvement locally and signposting wasn't as clear as I'd have liked, even my sat nav with 2009 map showing I was driving through a field! Then the 'scenic route' via Kirkcaldy goes through quite built-up areas with a lot of local traffic, and coastal road is narrow in places, so needing care. You can leave M90 further north and take A92 towards Leven, but traffic on that stretch (partly dual-carriageway) is still heavy.
I wouldn't like driving that route after an overnight flight, but if you have to, take it easy with a couple of stops at least. Normal driving time is 90 min, but I'd allow 2 hours.
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:05 AM

"Normal driving time is 90 min, but I'd allow 2 hours." I agree - but Open week it could be even longer.
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

janisj and Alec - thank-you so much for all the specifics and recommendations; I will adjust my plans accordingly. Hopefully sleep will happen. Be well.