Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving Cardiff to Nottingham in 1 day via Hay-on-Wye w/2 teenage girls

Apr 10th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

On Sunday, 22 June 2014 I'll be driving from Cardiff to Nottingham with 2 teenage girls, stopping in Hay-on-Wye to browse bookshops. Viamichelin.com says drive is 188 miles and 4h 22m driving, which really means a marathon day, right? Will it be easy to find lunch in Hay-on-Wye on Sunday? Suggestions for stops to stretch and have a quick look around? Michelin's route goes through Swainshill, Stretton Sugwas, Hereford, Holmer, Bransford, Rushwick, Whittington, on M5 and M42 around Birmingham, and Clifton to Nottingham. What times should we avoid Birmingham for rush hour? Any tips are appreciated, thanks!
Apr 10th, 2014, 10:22 AM

Lunch won't be a problem.

However the drive will take longer than that - count on 5+ hours w/o stops. Any less any you will have been very lucky.

My main concern is . . . why Nottingham?
Apr 10th, 2014, 10:38 AM

There's no conventional rush hour IN Birmingham on Sundays (and yuo're not going into Birmingham anyway), but traffic on both directions on the M42 from the M40 slip road to the M6 (Toll) interchange slows from mid-afternoon to early evening. The miracle of variable speed limits, though, means a 60 mph limit gets imposed, and 9 times out of 10, traffic both ways averages 50-odd.

Birmingham's unlikely to be your problem - but somewhere else certainly will on a midsummer Sunday. I'd be amazed if you managed less than 6-7 hours driving.
Apr 10th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

I want my daughter & niece to enjoy traveling new places. They helped plan our itinerary. My daughter, the reader, fell in love with Howard Pyle's book on Robin Hood. After we leave Nottingham, we'll walk on the trail around Major Oak in Sherwood Forest on our drive up to York.
Apr 10th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

I figured we'd be on the road at least 8 hours before arriving in Nottingham, that's why I'd like a few places we could stop to break up the time in the car.
Apr 10th, 2014, 11:00 AM

Please tell us you aren't staying in Nottingham for Robin Hood 'stuff'. (the Forest visitors center is well north so no need to stay in/near Nottingham to visit it) It really will be a ghastly schlepp and Nottingham is not a 'lovely destination' after a loooong day's drive. Maybe stop over someplace like Stratford upon Avon or Warwick or Leamington Spa and visit Sherwood forest (such that it is) the next day.
Apr 10th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

No, it was on the way to York, we opted for 1 very long drive day instead of 2 shorter drives. By this time in our 19-day trip we need a day without sightseeing (girls will sleep in, we'll cook meals, just relax and do nothing), so an apartment in Nottingham for 2 nights will do.
Apr 10th, 2014, 12:57 PM

Ditto what Janis said - Nottingham today is about as far removed from the popular myth of Robin Hood as its possible to be. An ugly industrial city with a few things to see but certainly not worth going so far out of your way for.
Apr 10th, 2014, 01:04 PM

Not only one night in Nottingham, but two?!?

Can't you find a nicer place to stay for two nights? A village in surrounding Nottinghamshire for instance?