Tiber River Boats

Search

Tiber River Boats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiber River Boats

Are these anything like the batobus in Paris or the boats on the Thames where you can hop on-hop off?

I've found info on the internet, but I haven't read anything in guide books or on this forum.

Would love to hear from anyone's who's used them before!
Thanks,
Dina
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:43 PM

Dina...they run very frequent daily schedules on the Tevere (Tiber), nothing fancy like the Batou's..but you can ride the put-puts all day long for a few Euros, on-off. They stop and pick up at several bridge sites, including Ponte Cavour (at Piazza Porta Ripetta)....convenient to the Spanish Steps...at Ponte Angelo (for the Vatican and Castel San Angelo), Ponte Sisto (convenient for Trastevere and Campo Fiori), and Isola Tiburina (convenient for Capotolino Hill, The Forum and the old Jewish Ghetto). Schedules are posted on large billboards at each bridge where pickups are made. We used them three times in the past two years...fun, easy to use and cheapo transportation when you get tired of walking. Enjoy and Bon Voyage!
Stu T.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:29 AM

The Tevere ("Tiber&quot is not a navigable river like the Seine or the Thames. It is shallow and has no weirs or locks, so boats can only sail on a few stretches. Try these web sites: www.battellidiroma.it and www.tourvisaitalia.com.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tower. That's how I was hoping to use them. Do you remember how often they run?

Geoff-I will check out those websites. Thanks!

Dina
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Dina...the sailing is at least from Ponte Cavour (near Spanish Steps) to Isola Tiburtine which can get you to the Forum and a little longer walk to the Coliseum...that's a pretty long stretch and it takes in almost all of the Roman attractions as I mentioned in my letter above. They run regularly, I'd say (if I recall) at least every hour or better than that...during daylight, I believe, because we didn't take any after dark. Check the web pages suggested above. Have fun..great way to travel..
Stu T.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Stu.
The websites don't really tell the times, although they don't seem to run at night (too bad!).
We'll definitely try them, though!

Dina