Three hour waits for Eiffel Tower?

Mar 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Three hour waits for Eiffel Tower?

We will be in Paris mid June. Any way to avoid a three hour wait at the Eiffel ower? Other than eating at Jules Verne?

Tahnks Karen
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Go up the Tour Montparnasse instead...59th fl. observation deck, about 8€
www.tourmontparnasse56.com/
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I would not bother with Jules Verne..Way overpriced!
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM

I'm waaaaay too impatient to wait for anything when I could be doing other things.

I've been to the tower in June and in July. I got there just before opening both times (by about 10-15 minutes) and it took 5 minutes to buy tickets then not really a wait at all for the elevator, maybe two turns before I got on. There was a tiny wait on the way down as I stayed up quite awhile and the crowd was fairly dense when I was ready to go down. Lots of h.s. kids on tour....
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM
RJD

Try the Altitude 95 restaurant. Much cheaper with decent food and great views. Allows for direct access to the first level. See here:
http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk...ex.html?id=2_7
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM

katesbelsogno, I haven't been to Jules Verne, but I'm curious. Which restaurants in the same price range in Paris do you prefer and why?
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM

i agree about going to the tour montparnasse. there is NO FEE to go up to the restaurant. you get great views OF the eiffel tower from there. The menu is a litle high, but, very justified, i felt.

a spectacular evening. we have not gone for a meal, only a drink and dessert.

we were moved from the bar area to a window table as soon as one was available every time.
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM

It wasn't until or 10th trip to Paris that we went to the top of the Tour..The view was lovely, but the crowds were overwhelming and the wait for the elevator to get back to ground level, squashed in like sausages, was not fun.

Try the top of the Arc de Triomphe instead..same view, walking around space , and you have a view of the Tour!
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Agree about the Tour Monparnasse. I did it for the first time last year on my 71st visit to Paris and could not believe I had never done it before. Yes, drinks are expensive, but you can sit there for hours and gaze over tout Paris, including the Tour Eiffel.
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM

71 visits! my goodness stcirq!
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Arrive early in the morning or late at night to avoid the longest lines. In high season, though, there is almost always a line to get in.

The only reason to go to the top of the tower is to say you've been there. The view is usually better at the first and second levels.

The Montparnasse Tower offers a considerably better view of the city, even though it is significantly smaller than the Eiffel Tower. The Montparnasse Tower has the advantage of a huge observation deck with unobstructed views of the city. It is also positioned better, being on the south side of the city with all the major sights easily visible (including the Eiffel Tower itself). It's slightly cheaper than the Eiffel Tower, too, and long lines are rare.
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM

While not nearly as stunning a view as the Eiffel Tower, two alternatives are the terrace at the Musee d'Orsay and the top of the Arc D'Triomphe. If you didn't want to wait, either of these locations will at least provide a bird's eye-view of part of the Paris skyline.
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM

St Cirq, you should have a monument somewhere in Paris.... I don't think many travelers have gone there so many times from outside France.
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:09 PM

We've been to Paris 6 times...not over 4 days each, and haven't gone up the Eiffel ! I don't like heights too well,, but we DID take the elevator to the top of the Montparnasse building. 55 or so,, is it 59 floors. That "ride" seems more enclosed and easier.
I did think, however, that it might be a little TOO high as everything appeared fairly "tiny". DUH! But it IS spectacular.
Some say the first observation deck at the Eiffel has great views, and no need to go to the top.
Too bad the 360 degree view from top of Samarataine Dept. store is no longer,,,it was a lovely way to get oriented with Paris, with the metal postings of "what is what in Paris" around the circle.
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Hi NeoPatrick..I have to be honest..I do not frequent very many high end restaurants like I used to. I live in Europe now so I try to avoid the "tourist" traps..I find the smaller, nondescript places are more to my liking..I do appreciate the great places but when the cheese is not good..in PARIS???? We know we have a problem..