Three generations to Edinburgh

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Rick Kurash

Three generations to Edinburgh

My father is getting on and has expressed a desire to visit Edinburgh. He has fond memories of the city from his time there in WWII. I have enough airline points to take him and my 16 year old son. My father is not wheelchair bound but walking any great distance is difficult. Any suggestions on whereabouts to stay, things to do and easiest method of transportation would be appreciated. Budget is a concern but of course need clean and safe.

Thanks in advance

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 11:12 PM
Cara

Hi Rick,

I just got back from a week in Edinburgh and loved it. But I must warn you - it is a very hilly city and could definitely take it's toll on your father trying to do a lot of walking. There are an abundant amount of taxis, however, they tend to be costly. You can pick up one of the double decker tourist buses to get around. I walked everywhere but was told that the buses were quite reasonable and easy to use. Also of note is that there are free shuttle buses running between the 4 national galleries in Edinburgh, which should help if you want to visit any of the museums.

I stayed at the Old Waverly Hotel on Princes Street and found it to be a very comfortable hotel and a great location for exploring both new and old town. However, you might also want to consider getting a hotel up along the Royal Mile if you plan on spending more time up in old town (near the castle) since it is located up on the hillside. Of course if you take advantage of the tourist buses, then getting from site to site won't be an issue in terms of walking.
Have a great trip!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:28 AM
cara

Cara,

Thanks for the reply. What about renting a car. Would you recommend it?

Rick

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:11 AM
kathy

Rick,
Saw your question about car rental... there's lots to do in Edinburgh (and the food was good, too. We sampled Swiss and Chinese there.) But if you want to see the countryside for a day you'll definitely need a car. Although there may be bus tours that would fit your plans... We had a reservation through Avis for an automatic (a must) but when they failed to have a car we ask the hotel concierge to help us. They found a new automatic at a lower rate through a local car agency. Driving on the left was intimidating but there are main highways between cities that are very easy to travel on. (Gas is expensive, by the way.) It just depends on how much time you have. FYI Stirling castle was hard walking, but Holyrood is easy. Have a great trip and take raingear!!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Dave

Re: Guide Friday hop-on/hop-off bus tours.

In my opinion, Edinburgh is one of those cities where GF tours are worth the money. They cover most of the interesting parts of both the Old and New Towns. Best of all, after an orientation tour around the entire loop, you can ride up to the castle (quite a climb) and then walk down the Royal Mile (an easy stroll) and rejoin the tour at Holyrood Palace for the climb up Calton Hill to Princes Street.

Dave

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Barbara

As Kathy said, if you want to tour around the countryside, you will need a car.If you decide to rent one, you have to consider where you will park it. Most of the hotels and B&Bs in the center of town have no parking available and may have arrangements with various parking lots, which can be some distance to walk from the hotel. One of the reasons I chose the Carlton Hotel was the easy access to the parking lot they use. The hotel has an arrangement with the lot that serves the Waverly train station, which is right across the road from the back entrance of the hotel. The hotel is located on North Bridge at the corner of the High Street. The same back entrance that gets you to the parking lot also gets you quickly and easily to the tour buses that park outside the train station. Your son would probably like this hotel's health club, mine did.
I rented from Hertz which may be slightly more expensive, but which has a rental office inside the train station, making pick up and drop off easy and convenient. You might consider renting only when you will actually be using a car. I did not find taxi fares to be very high and used them a lot at night to get to the various restaurants we tried.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Sarah

Rick - I took a 12 hour tour to Loch Ness and the Highlands that was very pleasant and informative. It was a on a small tour van and the driver was a great tour guide for the day. I think I paid less than 30 pounds, which I thought was a much better deal than renting a car and paying the high cost of gasoline over there. It's a long day, but well worth it to see the wonderful countryside - beautiful!!! I stopped in and booked the tour at a Guide Friday office on the Royal Mile, but there are a number of tour agencies. I was recommended not to rent a car, since Edinburgh is not an easy city to drive in...limited parking.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Sheila

Rick

As everyone else has said Edinburgh is a town for walkers, and is hilly. My dad is somewhat shaky on his pins, and I would not take him to Edinburgh. Do not hire a car to get around the city unless you have access to an orange badge (it lets you park in otherwise illegal places, because you have a mobility problem). I'm fairly certain visitors can't get them.

If you are keen to do it, there is a huge amount to see and do in the city. I would opt for cheaper accommodation as near to the town centre as possible and use the difference to spend on taxis.

If this appeals, I will update my Word document on Edinburgh and e-mail it to you if you would like?

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Sam

While Edinburgh is quite hilly, if this is a destination that your father has indicated great interest in, then go! He's not getting any younger and it would be a great experience for 3 generations of family to enjoy. Given his memories of the war, I think your father will find great joy in visiting the wartime museum at the Edinburgh Castle.

Like other posters have mentioned, there is plenty of buses and taxis to get around in. Spend less on food (plenty of Pizza Huts, cheap italian and other food choices - pubs...) and lodging and just enjoy spending time together.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Danna

We stayed at the Ballentrae Hotel. Central location but lots of steps though. ( with bright plaid which is amazing!) Central, nice, but may not work. As other posters mention it's very hilly there. We were glad to get to flat land, and we're middle aged.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Rick Kurash

Thanks to all for your ideas and encouragement.

Sheilagh, If it is not too much trouble I would really appreciate the Word Doc e-mailed.

Rick

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Joyce

Hi Rick, I used the AA .co.uk club on line to look up accommodation and feel I found excellent locations and great prices. There is also a wealth of information on the hotels. I did all my booking online via e mail. Got a B & B right in the center . We are going May 01 , enjoy Joyce

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 01:06 AM
Sheila

My home PC is going through an upgrade. I'll email the document sometime next week. Sorry for the delay