Thomas Cook Timetable Bites the Dust...

Old Oct 13th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomas Cook Timetable Bites the Dust...

with the German company that owns the brand pulls the plug due to understandably falling sales not recouping printing costs, etc after 140 years of publishing it - well the Guardian article says that a new Eurail App has been downloaded 30,000 times - times change but the Thomas Cook did not - why did they not have a Thomas Cook app? Dinosaurs die eventually. But again a sad event for me and others.

Apparently some old Thomas Cook timetable hands want to buy and rescue this iconic timetable that many of us in Neanderthal days used to plan our train trips and chugged along to get schedules as we went.

I lament the demise of Cooks and have many lining my shelves gathering dust.

Uesd to be the first thing I would do in Europe would be to track down a Thomas Cook office to nab my current timetable.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 01:08 AM

I jhave always been wondering about the value of such an ambitious project. How did they fit timetables for all of Europe into one relatively small volume when the complete timetables for Germany alone (while there was still a print version) filled three fat volumes with a weight of more than a kilogram. It must have been a selection of the major routes with limitations, but never a complete timetable.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 03:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They fit them in quite simply by using small type. And yes, it was quite complete to include ferry schedules in places you would probably never think of taking a ferry to.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 04:25 AM

I remember it too. In the 50s and 60s teenage dreams of obscure and exotic places. I'd pore over it for hours at a time. Teenagers dream of other things these days.

@PalenQ: wasn't it you I noticed in another thread (which I can't lay my hands on at the moment) who mentioned East Germany in the old days? In the very early 70s I used my Thomas Cook timetable to get around the DDR when it was one of those countries virtually closed to foreign visitors.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 04:28 AM

With the ubiquitous internet and some really good smartphone apps, books like that are more trouble than they are worth.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 04:40 AM

Well, why don't we just elininate all books and newspapers and flyers and everything else that is printed and be done with it, Sparkchaser? I mean, everybody has a computer and a smartphone and they carry those with them wherever they go.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:05 AM

Ludicrous statement is ludicrous.

why don't we just elininate all books

The vast majority of books are not available in an electronic format and for many kinds of books an electronic format doesn't make much sense.

[why don't we just elininate] all newspapers

While I don't necessarily like it, that does seem to be the way things are headed. As soon as newspaper publishing conglomerates find a way to make sure everyone in their target audience has an ereader, it will happen. Print is just becoming too expensive.

[why don't we just elininate] all flyers

I think those are on the way out too. have you noticed posters with QR codes popping up everywhere. Give it ten years and the amount of flyers you see piling up wasting resources will dwindle. They are just getting too expensive to print.

I mean, everybody has a computer and a smartphone and they carry those with them wherever they go.

Maybe not computers but smartphones certainly. In developed nations, smartphone ownership is over 30% and growing each year. 90% of all new phones sales are smartphones.

Have you noticed how many SIM threads there are here versus how many time table book threads there are?

Yeah it sucks that libraries won't have copies of these time table books anymore but libraries have computers nowadays so you can still get the information.

Don't get me wrong, I think a paperless world just silly (90% of my books are dead tree versions and I'd hate to see a 100% move to ebooks) but there are just some things that a paper version just doesn't make fiscal sense from a publisher's point of view.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:14 AM

I am utterly devastated that the paper timetable is no longer available. I have been hanging out for the 2013/2014 one to buy myself for Christmas and now what am I to do! It's the only book I would read on a train.I don't want to app or google etc etc - I want a book to flick through. Not happy!!
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

It must have been a selection of the major routes with limitations, but never a complete timetable.>

No it did not have nearly all the putative 100,000 trains a day that run around Europe. Local trains were left out - meaning most of the trains - but those trains you do not need timetble for as like German S-Bahns they run all the time and not necessarily to a set schedule.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ: wasn't it you I noticed in another thread (which I can't lay my hands on at the moment) who mentioned East Germany in the old days? In the very early 70s I used my Thomas Cook timetable to get around the DDR when it was one of those countries virtually closed to foreign visitors.>

Yes twas moi - did the old commie east several times before the Wall was broached and yes it was nice to have a Cooks there as information was often so poor and in the commie style station personnel were at times less than helpful!
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 08:02 AM

> = the understatement of the year!
"Restaurant car" on Berlin Ostbahnhof to Dresden Hbf circa 1972, breakfast menu hard boiled egg and vodka. Steam loco of course.
In 1974 I did a similar trip to Weimar and Buchenwald. This time by car.
I also travelled on Albanian Railways. This was much later.
I don't know if they were in Cook's as they had no connection to the rest of the European railway system.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Ah yeh cymraeg - I remember a DDR (East German) night train experience with about 6 am - well before scheduled arrival - a husky woman attendant - who looked like she could contend for the Olympic Weightlifting title - yelling something, waking everyone up so she could yank the sheets and pillows off the bed - I guess so her work could be done when the train arrived. Everybody groaned but no one complained!

And in stores clerks with no smiles actually throwing things at you from behind the counter - no self-serve as I recall in grocery stores that stocked a few nearly un-edible thing! Ah I could go on a long time with poor service in the ole East!
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...e-alternatives

Oops forgot to post the actual article I referenced!
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

http://www.thomascook.com/press-cent...able-lives-on/

Not so fast - Thomas Cook Timetable Will Live On... for the moment!
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 03:56 PM

PalenQ on Nov 7, 13 at 3:19pm
Not so fast - Thomas Cook Timetable Will Live On... for the moment!

Bravo! Thanks for the update PalenQ.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM

Thank you PalenQ for the update.You've made my day.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 10:00 PM

The vast majority of books are not available in an electronic format and for many kinds of books an electronic format doesn't make much sense.

EXCEPT for railroad timetables, right?????
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

http://www.europeanrailtimetable.eu/

It won't be called Thomas Cook no more but the European Rail Timetable - the link above gives details - hope to publish in early 2014 - not sure what they market is for a printed timetable now with tablets getting Internet everywhere but... yes like spaarne says Bravo!
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This proves it:

Times change.