Thistle Charing Cross or St. Martin's Lane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to London next month with friend to visit my college daughter. Have narrowed our search down to Thistle CC and St. Martin's Lane. Wondering if Fodorites have direct experience with either hotel-room size, comfort, staff, etc? Would love some tie-breaking opinions! Thanks!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM

I have stayed at Thistle Charing Cross many times(latest time spring 2007), but never the other one (from what I read, St,Martin's Lane seems in different league). The best thing about Thistle CC is the location, most convenient for bus network and within walking distance to South Bank Centre, west end theatres, National Gallery and many major sites. Rooms vary: standard rooms a bit small(but OK for London) and tired looking, Deluxe rooms are much better with better beds also. Staff are all right, nothing to rant or rave about. Among all Thistle chain hotels I have ever stayed, CC has the nicest breakfast room and buffet breakfast.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am curious - these two hotels are so entirely different in amenities, rates and so on - they seem an odd choice. Absolutely nothing wrong w/ the Charing Cross (BTW - it is no longer a Thistle. It is now a Guoman Hotel). But they are not at all similar properties.

If the St Martin's Lane fits in your budget and you want uber modern, that would be the logical choice. But it is above my pay grade. I'd happily settle for more traditional Charing Cross
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so far for the input and I agree about being very different. However in the world of online discounts they are now comparable! We actually just found rate at Radisson May Fair that beats them all and wondering about actual Fodor experiences there. Have covered the Tripadvisor comments as well. Location is priority #1 and then potential size/comfort of room with 2 women travelling is #2. My friend has stayed in deluxe room at Thistle CC and heard it was very different than standard.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM

I am curious about your online discount for Thistle Charing cross. It was one of my choices--location-wise and I think it was highly rated on Londontown. And , if you don't mind sharing, your discount at Radisson? Haven't heard anything about that one yet.
many thanks,
Liz