Thistle Charing Cross

Search

Thistle Charing Cross

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thistle Charing Cross

I just booked the thistle Charing Cross for August. Can anyone tell me their experiences there? I booked the wine and dine special, which was less expensive than booking a single room without breakfast and dinner.

Thank you
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:31 PM

As a Londoner, I have never stayed there, but have dined there and had tea, and I find it a good hotel. It is a railway hotel, from the days when this was one terminus for Paris, and the public rooms are ornate Victorian. The location is splendid, above a main tube junction, on bus routes east to St Pauls and the Tower, west to Piccadilly, Hyde Park, and South Kensington, south to Westminster (five minutes by bus), north to the British Museum, over the river to the South Bank Centre and over the street to the theatres. Five minutes walk to the river, Gordon?s Wine Bar, and the flowers of Embankment Gardens. You should pick up a bus map at the tube station, ass many f oiur trips will be best made upstairs on a bus.

[email protected]
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 03:09 AM

Location,Location,Location
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:46 AM

On Mr Haines's recommendation I had afternoon tea there last year, and not only was that a tasty and reasonably-priced, non-posh experience (compared, say, to the Ritz), but the public rooms are indeed grand in appearance. I hope though that your special rate and arrangements don't prevent you from dining or lunching elsewhere--London has wonderful cafes and restaurants.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

THank you for the positive feedback on the hotel. I can naturally miss a dinner or two at the hotel and go elsewhere.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:20 AM

You will benefit us all if on return home you will post a note on the rooms and service at the hotel.

Ben Haines, London