things to book in advance of trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be visiting Italy in August for our honeymoon. We will be staying 3-4 days at each of the following destinations:

Cinque Terra
Rome
Venice
Florence

So far, we plan to book our train passses and a tour of the Vatican museum in advance of our trip. Are there any other museums/destinations within the 4 cities in our itinerary that you would reccommend that require booking in advance of our trip? Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated.

Mike
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:41 AM
ira

Hi m,

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. There is a long listing of press 1 for this and 2 for that--press 4 for bookings. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Secret Itineraries tour of Doge’s palace Phone number is 011 39 (0)41 520 9070. English-speaking operator.

You will not be charged for your tickets if you don't go on the tour.

Online bookings are at http://tinyurl.com/z3jy2

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Emily and I went to Florence on a day trip thinking we would buy tickets to the Uffizi when we got there... wrong. We would have had to stand in line for 4 hours for a ticket and given a time to come back. So we did not go to the museum. The next time we went to Florence we thought ahead bought the tickets on line ... ready... right. Wrong... There was a strike on the day we were going to go. We went to the ticket office and was told that if some people came in the museum might be open. We came the day of the strike and enought employees come to open the museum but only a few rooms.

This is a different world from the US. You will have to plan in advance hoping you will be able to do what you want too. This must be done. But be flexible and realize that a strike can change your plans... be flexible. EmilyandJim.info has seveal agendas of our trips to Europe.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Is there an official website for the Uffizi and/or Academia that I can use to make reservations through the internet as opposed to over the phone?
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM
sjj

You definitely need advance booking for the Borghese Gallery in Rome, and I think you need advance booking for Nero's Golden House.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just depends if there are things you absolutely want to be sure and see. Myself I never book anything ahead besides flights & hotels.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Nero's opened for a few months and has closed again.

Here is the official website for the State museums in Florence. The booking directions are as stated above by Ira. You have to call or you could ask your hotel to do it for you.

Railpasses are rarely worth purchasing for Italy and usually are a waste of money. You also would have to pay extra for seat reservations with a pass. Point-to-point tickets will be cheaper and you can purchase in Italy or on the Italian train website - www.trenitalia.com ES (Italy's fast train) tickets will cost about 30E per person for 2nd cls for Rome/Florence and for Florence/Venice. These prices include seat reservations. For Cinque Terre, only R or IC trains are available. You can't reserve seats on R trains. The cost from Florence is about 15E.

To book a tour with the Vatican, you must use fax.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...zi_Visite.html

There are other options, such as using a tour company for the Vatican.

You might consider purchasing the Roma Pass for Rome. For 20E you get to use the metro/busses/trams and includes entrance to 2 museums (I would pick Borghese and Coloseum) and discounts at others. You can't tour the Borghese without a reservation so I'm not sure how this process works with the pass.
http://www.galleriaborghese.it/default-en.htm

http://www.romapass.it/english/index.html
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Florence museum link
http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/musei/