Thingorjus needs help w/Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, has anyone use the Prague Museum Card, valid for three days for museums and the metro? Is it worth it? It seems like a good value, but museums are closed on Mondays. Since I would start my card on Saturday, I would only be using it for two days. What is the opinion of Prague experts?
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Topping for John.
John, when do you go?
I hear Prague is a wonderful city.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Singletail

I've used the so-called "Prague Card" or perhaps it was called the "Prague Welcome Card" that included the public transport, admission to the Castle complex, etc...sounds like the same thing..but I used mine for a full three days. You might be better off paying as you go unless you can cram a lot of stuff into Saturday and Sunday.

I found the card helpful for the public transport which I used a LOT to get around...saved time and any confusion buying tickets, etc.

Old May 17th, 2004, 11:02 AM

I've never bought one because museums are fairly cheap, anyway, but I think that card is an okay deal if you use it. I don't think it's really necessary for two days, however.

I would be cheaper to buy regular metro/tram passes than the one they sell with that card for tourists, if you are only going to be there two days. YOu can get a regular all-day transportation pass for 70 CK. I think the one they sell with that card (it is not mandatory, you don't have to buy both) is 180 CK.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:33 AM

John ma cher, when do you leave??

Old May 17th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I am leaving July 9, returning July 18.

I was wondering about the Prague Card because I have checked various websites for the top sights, and none tell what the cost of admission is to places like Sternberg Palace or St. Vitus's Cathedral.

I don't care about saving a few dollars, but if I could save more than $10 a day I would be interested in the card.

Thank you, Mimi and Scarlett, for your interest.

Cheers, John G.
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:37 PM

We were there for 3 and a half days and never took public transportation. We only used cabs from the train station to the hotel, and then to the airport.
Prague is so much fun to walk around, unless you are in a hurry, need to limit your walking for a physical reason, or if your hotel is far away, you may never even use the metro.
I looked through my receipts and the Jewish museum was 500KC for all 7 sights. Strahov library was 70KC. St. Vitus cathedral is part of the castle admission which depends on which admission you buy. An "A" ticket gets you into everything, and it was 350KC.

The "A" ticket includes St. Vitus'
cathedral, Great tower of the cathedral,
Old Royal palace, St George's Basilica, the Powder Tower, and Golden Lane.
I didn't get the "B" ticket but it costs less and doesn't include all the sights of the "A" ticket. You can walk all around the castle, through the gardens, see the changing of the guard,
through the center of the castle and in
the door of St. Vitus'(but not all the way down) all for free.

Hope this helps.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, sweetie darling.

I can walk up to 10 miles per day, but my mother, a smoker, can't. Plus, she is a shopper. I can only imagine the amount of shopping bags she will be lugging around. We will need a trolley.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:32 AM

We used the metro/ trams a lot in Prague- we did get the Museum Card, as I recall, but I don't remember anything about what was included or what it cost. (I'm starting to see some of the advantages of keeping a journal-- I think I'll remember everything, but I don't.)

Make sure to go to the Jewish quarter. It was a fascinating place, and very moving. The impact of the Holocaust had never hit me in such an personal and emotional way until I visited there.

Also the Mucha museum was worth a visit, and the Loreto. Very interesting, and I'll never forget the bizarre mummified bodies of saints- all dressed up in fancy clothes and displayed on the walls by the altar!

Prague is wonderful-- I hope you have a great time!
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Hello TG. We debated this very question before we went in March, and decided the card wasn't for us, primarily because many of the sights we wanted to see weren't on the Card. They were:

Communism Museum - 180 CZK
Mucha Museum - 240 CZK
Municipal House Tour - 150 CZK
Jewish Museum - 500 CZK

We did get the multi-day tram and metro card from a convenience store, though, which was especially useful as it rained on and off.

Not everything is closed on Mondays - the Castle is open, as is the Jewish Museum, and there's always concerts to attend and shopping to do. Have a wonderful trip - and do go to Restaurant David - I think you and your mother will have a lovely meal. Cheers!
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Hi
I've been to Prague but once, but I agree that it's a great walking city, a and except for parts of Mala Strana and the Castle area, most of it is quite flat and good for walking. In four days we didn't use public transport at all, but I will on the next trip perhaps to go further afield.

I have a file; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:03 AM

We used the Prague Museum card because it came with a hotel package we booked at the Riverside hotel. I don't think I'd use it again. We did use it several times and it was conventient for the trams but many of the Museums we visited were not covered and many of those it did cover were quite minor or further out of towm.

I highly recommend the tour of the Municipal House...it's an absolute must for anyone interested in Art Nouveau interiors...incredibly restored one room after another it really takes your breath awayand you see far more than the main concert hall.

The synagoues were fascinting and we particularly enjoyed the Spanish Synagogue which was very Moorish...lovely!

One museum we particularly enjoyed was the collection of gothic art at St Agnes's Convent a fairly short walk from the Jewish ghetto. It's beautifuuly displayed and when we visited it was very quiet.

Hope that helps.
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Don't miss the Jewish Museum. It is well worth the time & money.
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Be sure to post a trip report. I may return to Prague with my mother, also a shopper and a smoker, quite soon. (We aren't related are we?) Where are you going besides Prague? If I take my mom I want to make it a slower trip and definitely go outside Prague- maybe to Cesky Krumlov for a couple of nights.