Thieves slashing backpacks in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lady at my local travel store told me that some thieves have decided that it is easier to slash the side of a backpack to pull out the contents. Has anyone heard of this happening? It seems a bit extreme to me!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Did she say what country this was? Europe is a continent of 45 countries...
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:48 AM

I don't think this is anything new at all..another reason I prefer a regular purse or messenger bag
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:48 AM
P_M

This is not something new, I know a lady whose purse was slashed in Mexico. She never knew what happened until it was over. She looked down at her purse and saw a big hole, and of course, her wallet was gone.

I would not be surprised if it happens from time to time in Europe or anywhere else, but I don't think it's rampant. Anywhere you go, tourists will be a target for theft.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:56 AM

This has been going on all over the world, not just Europe, for decades. This is not news. Sure, it happens from time to time, but it's not something to get worked up about or make special arrangements for.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

She never specified a country. (I'll be in Italy, France and England.) I'll be using a GOOD quality backpack that is a thick nylon material. I would think that slashing this material would require a fair amount of force. I don't plan on carrying my passport or c-cards in it, I'd just be angry.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:59 AM
ira

Hi C,

People have been doing that for centuries.

They are called "cutpurses".

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

So, bottomline is just be aware?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Canuck girl: As the others say, this has been happening as long as there have been backpacks. And it happens everywhere in the world. Backpacks do have their advantages - but one major disadvantage is they are BACKpacks. They are out of your sight on your back and all sorts of things can be happening back there w/o you having a clue. Pickpockets/thieves are pretty quick and can slash your bag and be off with what they want before you have felt a thing.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Might you consider traveling with something other than a backpack? Anytime something is carried on your back (even a small day pack, for example) it is necessarily out of your sight. While her bag was not slashed, I do have a friend who found hers unzipped several times after being on a crowded Metro in Paris.

This is not new news, as other posters have said above. You might want to read over on www.lonelyplanet.com and their bulletin board calle the Thorn Tree. There are many dedicated backpackers who post there. See what they say to this question.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Slashing backpacks does not sound that extreme to me! It reminds me of a sight I saw about eight years ago on my first trip to Rome...empty shoulder bags with the straps broken strewn around the parking lot of the train station. What a sight to behold! From that day forward I have put my purse under my jacket! All seasons and all countries!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:17 AM

good morning janis, great minds think alike -LOL!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Thieves have been slashing backpacks since people have started carrying them. This is nothing new at all. And it's not just in europe - it's anywhere in the world.

One very good reason not to carry your belongings in a way that is so easy for others to access - unless you avoid any crowded places - like train or bus stations - or public transit.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:40 AM

You could carry a small rolling suitcase or duffle bag instead. That would eliminate the potential problem.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:12 AM

I was in Italy this summer for the European Backpack Slashers Convention. It was pretty huge. I'd be worried.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Backpacks are an invitation for theft. A traveling companion's backpack was slashed in Prague, and no one noticed anything until she realized her money, credit cards, passport, tickets and all her documents were gone.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:55 AM

My father had a neck pouch and had it slashed in the Paris Métro during rush hour and on a crowded train. His passport and credit cards were all stolen. The French police found it a few months later and sent it to us.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Well - I'll offer a different opinion here. Yes, there is the risk of having a backpack slashed and you are more susceptible to theft IF you have your backpack on your back in crowded areas.

I still like using a small daypack as it leaves my hands free, is much healthier for my back (no straps digging in my shoulder, and allows me to carry more than just a guidebook and small bottle of water (35 mm SLR with an extra lens is bulky!).

In crowded areas (metro, buses, busy streets) I just slip my backpack to my front and wrap my arms around it. I have never had an incident of theft. Oh...I have travelled in Western and Eastern Europe, South America, and Northern Africa incident free.

Common sense prevails here- no matter what you choose to use. Be aware of your immediate surroundings and know where your belongings are at all times.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:21 AM
lyb

I usually only carry a backpack while I'm traveling from one place to the next....airport, etc...HOWEVEVER, since I carry my camera equipment in it, the backpack is really a FRONTpack...yes, I carry it in front, it may look stupid, but I am fully aware of it and I don't think a "slasher" would attempt it while it is in front.... The other reason why I personally think a back pack is a bad idea while visiting during the day is that if you go in a store or a museum or anywhere else, you have no idea what or who you might knock with it...which is rather inconsiderate.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:23 AM

I know the suggestion is controversial, but if using a backpack and public transit, then consider wearing a moneybelt or leg belt, worn under clothing and not visible. This is to hold valuable documents and cards, not the day's spending money, and you should not have to access it in public. And if using public transit, pack light enough so you aren't an instant target.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -