Reload this Page >

Theft in Portugal?

Search

Theft in Portugal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 03:28 AM
maggi

Theft in Portugal?

I have been happily researching and planning an upcoming trip to Portugal. Then someone told me they were robbed three times while they were there! Now my husband is less than enthusiastic. We have traveled extensively and have never had this happen to us. Anyone had a bad experience in Portugal?

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 05:13 AM
harzer

We were in PT for three weeks, travelling by car and staying in budget guesthouses for the most part. As a rule I leave all my valuables in the room while my companion takes all hers with her wherever she goes. In neither case were we robbed, in fact we found the Portuguese very hospitable and helpful almost without exception. We didn't display any wealth about us when we were out and about and took a very positive, friendly attitude to people we encountered. We also did our best to learn some of this rather atrocious language, which earned us some brownie points no doubt. At the same time we took sensible precautions when in slightly more vulnerable situations. Of course it's hard to generalise but I should think your husband's fears are unfounded. <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 05:19 AM
Kristi

Before we went on our recent trip to Lisbon and the area north of there, I had heard a lot about theft in Portugal, especially in Lisbon and Sintra. Perhaps that made us a bit more cautious, but we came back without having experienced any problems. We changed our itinerary a bit, planning our hotel stays so that we wouldn't have our luggage exposed in our rental car, opted to take a train from Lisbon to Sintra instead of driving because we had heard about theft from cars. And we were cautioned by a local on one of the trolleys in Lisbon to watch our backpack. But we didn't experience or see any theft while there. I had also read that Barcelona had incredible crime problems but we experienced no problems there either. <BR> <BR>I'm sure you will find people that have problems with theft in Lisbon/Portugal, but you will also find people with stories of theft in Paris, Rome, New York City, etc. You shouldn't let your friends' experience deter you from planning an enjoyable trip to Portugal.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 06:34 AM
Dave

We went through Portugal without a problem, but in the center of Madrid, one of our group nearly had a wallet picked from his pocket. He felt a push, and was able to react before it happened. It can happen anywhere.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 03:41 PM
SharonM

I lived in Lisbon for one year (2yrs ago) and my wallet was lifted out of my purse twice, once on a crowded bus and once at a bar. I know I should/could have been more cautious, but after living there for awhile I got occassionally lax. <BR>On another note, the first time my wallet was stolen someone found it under a car, brought it into an office in front of it, and they found the phone number to my landlord who knew where to call. All that was gone was the cash, and I'm sure it was the thief that took that! One guy off the bus even helped me run after the guy! (not that THAT was a smart move on MY part...) <BR>The second time, I didn't realize I didnt have my wallet til I was home, across the river, and I was getting ready to pay the cab driver. He said never mind and wouldn't even let me send it to him later! <BR>Go, but be careful...Just as you would in any large city.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 04:59 PM
Susan

Maggi - We traveled in Portugal by bus & train and never had any problems. We walked around Lisbon at night. We rode the Lisbon Metro (where we didn't feel so safe but just kept very vigilant). <BR> I felt safer in Portugal than I do in some parts of San Francisco, where I live.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 06:18 PM
Mavis

Maggi - we've been travelling to Portugal for years and have never had a problem - although one time on a flight from London someone took a walkman I had laying at the top of a suitcase. We never knew if it happened at Heathrow or at Faro. We love Portugal, wonderful people - and don't drink the Portuguese wine you recognize from home - Mateus, Faisca, etc. - they save the best for domestic consumption - ask waiter to pick something great to accompany meal. Have fun.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 01:46 AM
frank

Been several times, never lost anything, didn't seem too bad for theft compared with other countries.Don't know Lisbon well, though.Take normal precautions & don't worry.All big cities everywhere require care.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 03:44 AM
maggi

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not usually one to worry about such things because so far, thank God, nothing bad has happened to us anywhere, despite horror stories.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 09:57 AM
adam

We have been to Portugal- all parts- many times and never had a problem. But be street wise in the cities- Portugal's like anywhere else. <BR> <BR>Enjoy- it's a beautiful country.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 10:12 AM
Steve S.

Just got back from 2 weeks in Portugal. Saw the entire country. Never had any problem with theft nor did we feel threatened at any time. Great trip!! <BR>Steve

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 10:30 AM
Lisa

Just came back from 2 weeks in Portugal. Absolutely loved it! Our car got broken into overnight in Coimbra (in an overnight parking lot in front of the Hotel Astoria). They didnt get anything, because there wasnt anything in there. Here is the secret; never leave anything in the car, and always leave the glove box open (we forgot to do this)when you leave the car. The police in Coimbra were wonderful and friendly and gave us a tour of the University! We had no further problems for the next 10 days. <BR>