The Trains in Spain

Search

The Trains in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Trains in Spain

I have never used the Spanish rail system and need some help.

After landing at Barajas, we would like to get to Seville as fast and easy as possible. Is there any direct connection from the airport to the AVE trains? I see trains from Atocha station to Seville, but must we taxi to that station in centro Madrid?

Also, we end in Granada on a Sunday in Oct. and want to train back to Madrid for the last nite. I see a connection at 09:10 that takes 4:25 with no connections, but again back to the Atocha station. Is this our best option?

If these are the best options then it begs the question of where to spend the last nite in Madrid for a noon departure the next day. No more than 200E.

Thanks for your help. The trains in Spain go beyond the plains--just not sure how to do it.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can go to Atocha from the airport by (Metro) rail but a taxi might be easier since using the Metro will involve at least two changes.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 06:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 07:00 AM

There's a bus just out the door of where you collect your luggage that goes to Atcoha station. You can actually buy your train tickets at the airport.

The bus is 5E. A taxi closer to 30E. .

The ticket offices at Atocha are on the main floor across from the covered jungle.

If you qualify for their senior card ( Tarjeta dorada) it may be worth it to spend 5E for it to get the discount on the fares.

You can stay in Madrid the night before as the airport is a mere 20 minutes by taxi form downtown.

see www.trivago.es or travelzoo and then check hotel websites themselves for best solution. Anywhere near the Art Triangle or Plaza Mayor, Plaza -santa Ana is fine.

I have seen the Intercontinental at times under that budget. You may want to search here for Madrid accommodations. People have posted a lot of their favorites.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:06 AM

If you're flying internationally, I'd opt for a taxi. The charge should be less than the €30 mentioned.

As far as your tickets go, you can purchase them ahead of time at http://petrabax.com/renfe/

Forget the Tarjeta Dorada unless you planning on taking a lot of local trains.

For someplace inexpensive and comfortable, check out the Hotel Lope de Vega, a short walk from Atocha station (www.hotellopedevega.com), or if you'd like to stay in the Salamanca area, then you can check the 3-star Hesperia Hermosilla. It has decent rates in October and it's one of our favorites.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:11 AM

If you are landing at T4 in Madrid, there is a direct train (cercania) to Atocha,
otherwise,the bus or taxi is better than the metro.IMO
One can fly Granada to Madrid,
, as I am sure you know, but the train seems a good option.
I would stay in the center of the city....200 euros is enough for a very nice hotel.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:14 AM

We love Salamanca district, but for the first time visitor to Madrid ( if that is what you are )
I would go with Lin's suggestions.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Hi Bob,
Taxi fares covering Madrid: http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/...997//Taxi.html
Bus and Metro options: http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/...e-publico.html
Hotels in Madrid: http://bit.ly/bookingMadrid
The folks from the US find petrabax easier to use that www.renfe.com
Also read http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm for an understandable guide about what tickets can be purchased for train travel in Spain
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Gracias gang--that helps!
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 06:53 AM

I checked the cost of our taxi from the Hermosilla to Madrid-Barajas last July. It was €23,80, including the airport surcharge. It should only be an extra two to three Euros from Plaza Santa Ana.

For your budget, you can go with the NH Palacio de Tepa. Go with the early booking discount.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 07:13 AM

....Forget the Tarjeta Dorada unless you planning on taking a lot of local trains.......

Poor advice. If over 60 get the card. Is 5E the last time we bought it but could be a little higher. Gets you a 25% on weekend tickets and 40% week day. The first ticket purchase will pay for it and it good for a year. Has nothing to do with local trains. Good for all trains.

The direct bus to the train station is very efficient. Haven't use the train that is recommended about. The metro is too complicated with changes.

Unless you are committed to returning to Madrid I would consider returning from Malaga which has direct flights to the US. It is an easy two hour bus ride from Granada with a direct bus from the bus station to the airport.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 08:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
If your going to be in Seville before Sept. 15, Travelzoo has a deal at the Alfonso XIII, a wonderful 5 star hotel:

http://www.travelzoo.com/es/189-Hist...ml_españa
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM

From Renfe:
"On AVE Larga Distancia - If you are 60 years old, make the most of the advantages and convenience of travelling by train and apply for a Tarjeta Dorada card. This card will entitle you to purchase tickets for any train and class. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays you will receive a 40% discount. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays the discount will be 25% for tickets that have not been bought in advance and with a reserved seat.

The Tarjeta Dorada card is valid for one year and can be purchased at Renfe stations, Ticket Offices and Travel Agencies for €5.15. There is also the option of obtaining a Tarjeta Dorada card linked to credit and debit cards issued by some banks (in Spain only)."

On the Avant, the 40% discount is only good on Saturday and Sunday.

Tickets have to be purchased at the train station or through a travel agent in Spain. There are no discounts on certain trains, like the Madrid-Toledo train.

What isn't noted above is that the discounts are off of the full-price fare, and if seats are available on the train in which you want to travel that day.

You'll get better prices buying your tickets online ahead of time.

Another good option is the Renfe Spain Pass. "It allows non-residents in Spain to travel around the country. This pass is active for 6 months as from the date of issue and is valid for 1 month as from the date on which it is first validated for a journey."
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 12:04 PM

If you arrive at Terminal 4 in Barajas, you have a direct connection to the Cercanias commuter rail that will take you to Atocha and is MUCH faster than Metro and far less expensive than taxis.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Do not take the Metro from airport..complete mess..transfers, handling bags, stress and crowded..Take a cab or commuter rail, but a cab is simpler and worth the $ after plane travel..
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 04:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I took the Express Bus last September from Barajas to Atocha. Very easy!

http://www.esmadrid.com/en/barajas-airport-express
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:04 AM

I don't know if you still are interested in the best connection from Barajas to Atocha, but if that's the case and you are landing in T4, 'cercanias' is the best option. http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cer...rid/index.html

In 26min you get Atocha station, and if you catch the 'cercanias' in less than 3h before your AVE you can use your AVE ticket to use this system for free. As well in your destination (Sevilla) you will have 3h of free 'cercanias' after your arrival. In Spanish: http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/larga_...cercanias.html