The Romantic Road

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 01:23 PM
Paul

The Romantic Road

Is Highway 13 going northwest of Munich called The romantic road? What Cities does it go through? Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Maira

The Romantic Road runs North-South thru the western portion of Bavaria. I can only vouched for the route we did to hit Rothenburg OB Tauber, Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen, and Fussen, which, by the way, should address which towns I recommend. We actually got on the Romantic Road coming from Nuremberg, that is, we hopped on 25 which turned into 2, which turned into 17 (ends in Fussen). Again, all countryside.

Spend an overnight on Rohenburg (we didn't; I wished we had), have coffee and pastries in Dinkelsbuhl (ultimate gingerbread town), and enjoy Nordlingen (very pretty).

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 02:16 PM
Ed

The Romantische Strasse follows no single route designation. It runs from Wuerzburg in the north to Fuessen in the south. Some route numbers include B13, B25, B2, B17. Cities include Wuerzburg, Rothenburg o.d. Tauber, Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen, Donauworth, Augsburg, Landsberg, Schongau, Fuessen.

There are certainly a number of moderately interesting spots along the way. Rothenburg itself if a bit more than just moderately interesting, and the Neuschwanstein is certainly quite worthwhile. That said, the Romantic Road is overhyped in our opinion.

Ed
Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria
www.twenj.com

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Maira

Ed--- why are you saying that? If it wasn't for the hype, how many (tourists) Americans, would abandon the highways to venture on to the beautiful German countryside? Whether this was a German marketing strategy or not, it certainly was a delightful experience. I do have to add that the route from Obberammergau to Salzburg was even more (if possible) breathtaking. You don't hear much about it, though.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 05:27 PM
Russ

Ed's right. And as you point out, Maira, there are other very scenic, culturally interesting, and historically important regions in Germany, places that I too believe would leave the Romantic Road in the dust if these places were in a foot race. I'd take it a step further and say that Rothenburg just isn't worth crawling over and under every other tourist for. It's become a dollar and yen magnet, a place where English seems more prominent than German, an overpriced amusement park rather than a viable town.

I much prefer a place like Weikersheim, along the Romantic Road near Wuerzburg, where the tourists tend to be Germans, where there are real townsfolk with real lives who don't sell cuckoo clocks, and where I'm not surrounded by people from the country I wanted to get away from for a little while. You can head out nearly anywhere off the Romantic Road as well and find any number of places in Bavaria that are authentic, unique and fascinating. Check Fodor's Germany guide for ideas!

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:05 AM
Ed

I don't object, Maira, to visitors getting out into the German countryside ... I encourage it!

It's just that Rothenburg and many of the cities along the Romantic Road are grossly overhyped and full of tourists and tourist buses, smoggy exhaust pipe alongside smoggy exhaust pipe.

Russ' comparison to an amusement park is spot on. In Rothenburg one often finds oneself parking some distance (more than a block or two) from one of the gates into the city. More than a little reminiscent of Disneyland, though there are no shuttles.

Take a look at www.twenj.com/bavaria.htm to find out how lovely can be one of many of the small German villages dotting the countryside, near, but not on, the Romantic Road. Our favorite, Iphofen, is an outstanding example. Not only rarely visited by North Americans, it's rarely visited by anyone but Germans.

Delightful experiences? Plenty of them. They're not all on the Romantische Strasse, though, and many that are not are better in many ways than the trite spots so heavily promoted.

Ed

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:30 AM
Summer Sucks

Maybe it is "hype" but well worth the time. However, there is one big secret to enjoying this nice drive and that is to do it in the off season. October is perfect: nice weather for the most part, no crowds, able to park right in the center of Rothenburg, stroll around with no mass of people, etc. Avoid the crowds, travel in the off season. You will also find the local shop keepers, noteliers, cafe staff, etc, much friendlier as they are not as busy and have more time to spend with you.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 10:29 AM
Paul

To all: Thanks for reorienting me. We were in Fussen and got lost trying to go on to Innsbruck from the center of town.

The Castle in the center of Fussen isn't Neuschwanstein is it?

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 11:02 AM
Ed

Neuschwanstein is 3 km. to the north in the hamlet of Schwangau. Another royal castle is across the valley, Hohenschwangau.

Ed

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Bob

Re Rothenburg: Don't be led astray by some of the negative comments on this post re Rothenburg. I first visited there in 1970 while in the Army and still enjoy going back. Last time was in 1998. Yes, they have the shops and the tourists do come. But if you stay there in a hotel the evening hours are completely different. Sort of like Venice. My opinion is that it is a fun little town to visit and shop in and to take the Nightwatchman's tour to learn something of the area. If you tried to go all over Europe only going to places the tourists avoid, you would be in for a pretty boring trip. There is a reason the people go there. Bottom line: Visit Rothenburg. See the museums. Do the evening tour. Walk the walls. Buy something at Kathe Wolfarth's Christmas shop and drink some beer. Not a bad way to spend a day or two. I am also always amazed at the postings that make it seem like seeing other Americans while in Europe will ruin your trip. On the contrary, we always meet nice people from all over the US and exchange touring tips. We also meet nice Europeans. It is part of the enjoyment of travel. So, go for it. Form your own opinions. Some of these people only take one trip and then complain. Nuff said.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 09:08 PM
Russ

I didn't mean to say that it's morally wrong to visit Rothenburg, but after numerous trips within Germany over the last 13 years, I really can't recommend it as an authentic travel experience. I agree that meeting other Americans is sometimes fun, but this is almost a requirement in R'burg. People who only make one trip and just like to whine can certainly "diss" a place unjustly. There are also many who only make one trip based on where they're instructed to go by all the travel authorities, then, in an attempt to impress the neighbors down the street, will blow a place up so large that it becomes a myth of sorts. To an extent, I think this is what has happened with R'burg. For many, it's the only small town on a tour through Germany, and with nothing to compare it to, it may seem pretty cool. I feel like I'm being hustled there, and I don't feel that way in many places in Germany.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 05:17 AM
Doug

Go to Rothenburg. It's fun and totally unlike an amusement park -it's real. These are genuine medieval buildings, the town has a glorious history and as Rob said, it's quite possible to avoid the other tourists. Walk the town walls at daybreak. You'll get great pictures and hardly see a soul. Go down the side streets in the early AM and you'll see butchers bringing in sides of meat, flower vendors setting up and old ladies with character written all over their faces sweeping their steps. Avoid Kathe Wohlfahrt's. It's over priced. Get your souvenirs elsewhere in Germany. I recommend staying at the Gasthaus Butz. It's right behind the row of buildings facing the town square. Great location and breakfast. It cost my family of four 140 DM for a big old room. The Night Watchman Tour starts only a few steps away. For a liveshot of the goings on in Rothenburg, go to:
http://www.rotabene.de/webcam/

If you're on at 3:00 pm East Coast U.S. time, you'll see George leading the Night Watchman tour.