Hotels under $100?

Sep 27th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Rachel

Hotels under $100?

Can anyone tell me the names of any hotels, located in Venice that are under $100/night (CDN). I will be in Europe for 6 months and am looking for the most affordable accomodation (and no trip is complete without visiting Venice!)

Sep 27th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Heather

During my first trip to Venice, I stayed at Hotel Locanda Fiorita and it was inexpensive for Venice. It is located in Campiello Nuovo and is a quiet nook that is a good location.

I just found an online review that says that "this hotel is without question one of the best one-star values in all of Venice. This smart clean and exceptionally nice hotel offer breakfast around four tables with cane-seated bentwood chairs ["Breakfast" is good cafe latte and bread with jellies]. Nearest tourist attractions are S. Mark's Square and Campo Santo Stefano [also the Accademia is a 3 or 4 minute-walk]."

Our room was clean and spacious, the hotel is run by a very pleasant family (all of whom spoke English).

When we were there about 3-1/2 years ago, the price was around $45.00 for two with a private bathroom. I paid cash to receive a discount and we visited right before the tourist season started.

Sep 27th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Heather

Oops ... just say the Canadian Dollar note. The $45.00 is US$.

Sep 27th, 2000, 07:23 PM
Lenore

Just to let you know, last time I checked Locanda di Fiorita their 'double' was a spread from 160,000-220,000. So that would make it about what? $80 to $110?
And this check would have been within the last 6 months.
Lenore

Sep 27th, 2000, 10:01 PM
Holly

Rachel: What time of year do you plan to be there, and are you looking for a single or double?

Sep 28th, 2000, 07:22 AM
Paulo

Answers to Holly's questions are essential, Rachel ...

What is $CDN100 translated in Lire? Lit 140,000? I take it we're talking about doubles ...

The lowest possible season in Venice is winter, excluding Christmas-New Year and the 2 Carnival weeks. In winter, outside these 2 periods, I wouldn't care to reserve anything. Just go about finding a room at the train station, when you get there. I would guess that you may even be able to find a couple 3-star hotels that might fit your budget.

If you're going in high season, Lit 140,000 translates to a 1-star hotel. Among the cheap hotels I used in Venice, my preference goes to the Caneva (Ramo della Fava, 5515; 30122 - San Marco - Venezia; Tel. +39 041 5228118; Fax +39 041 52086)

Paulo

Sep 29th, 2000, 06:12 AM
rachel

Thanks to everyone for their responses! I should point out that the Canadian dollar equals approx. Lit 120,000 (when all is said and done). I plan to be in Venice in early February. And I would need a double.

Paolo - Thanks for your advice - I guess I won't even try to book anything until I get there!