Reload this Page >

The Orient Express

Search

The Orient Express

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Filo

The Orient Express

The Orient Express, is it still alive and kicking? Have you ridden on it? What is an experience unto itself or just transportation?<BR>What destinations and stops are there on this route? Tell me, tell me...<BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Topper

Topping for Filo.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:15 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I went on it 10 yrs ago.<BR>The routes vary .......... we went London to Dover, then Boulogne to Venice. We flew back.<BR><BR>Worth doing it once for the experience.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Terra

Hi There<BR><BR>Yes, they are still very much alive and kicking with some very interesting routes. I would love to take their train in Australia from Sydney to Cairns. <BR><BR>I did one over-night from Rome to Venice about 2 years ago. It was a wonderful experience-- even though I did it alone (and for work purposes, I was on a research mission). Definitely NOT just transportation, especially since it would take about 1/4 of the time to get from Rome-Venice on the normal trains. This is pampering. <BR><BR>You have to be careful, there are a few trains that operate under the Orient Express title-- what you are probably looking for is the Venice-Simplon Orient Express, Their website is: <BR>http://www.orient-express.com <BR>Now the company also owns several hotels too. <BR><BR>Their webiste gives all the details on the routes, destinations and stops. Beware-- it isn't cheap! <BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Terra

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:30 AM
GeeZuzz

Are we all talking about the classic route/train a'la' Agatha Christie's MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS? Are we sure that isn't long gone?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Debbie

We took the Orient Express on a day trip from Frankfurt through the countryside. It was a dinner train (4-5 hrs.). Won-der-ful. We dressed up and some dressed in period attire. The meal was fabulous, champagne, the whole works. One of the best meals of our lives. Staff were all dressed in period attire. Very romantic, lots of pictures and momentos purchased. They had a piano car also. These trains are authentic and travel through Europe for special trips. You can select the car you want to be seated in, etc. for the day trips. Very nostalgic and not cheap. One of the biggest highlights of living in Europe for us!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Ben Haines

<BR>The website for the train is www.orient-expresstrains.com/<BR>It runs from 18 September to mid November to Prague (September only), Venice and Rome.<BR><BR>For elegance and comfort between Paris and Venice you could take a first class sleeper with shower en suite on the Rialto Express. Between Paris and Vienna, a first class sleeper on the original Orient Express. Both trains cost much less, and have restaurant cars.<BR><BR>Ben Haines