The Most Picturesque Island Villages

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to visit Greece in early May for about 2 weeks in order to photograph picturesque villages (subjects for watercolor paintings). Most of all I would like to find small white-washed homes strewn with flowers bordering cobbled streets, etc., which exude charm. I'd like to visit 3-4 different islands during this time, and hopefully not spend a huge amount of money. Any suggestions of islands and itinerary? Thank you! Almost forgot - any internet cafes on recommended islands?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:51 PM

There are so many isalnds that fill your qualifications. I love the island of Symi. It is more Italian looking than the white cube villages, but go to www.symivisitor.com and check out their photos. Hydra which is near the mainland is wonderful as is Samos and Myconos and Paros etc. Have fun.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 05:08 PM

The Cyclades islands (Mykonos and Santorini probably being most visited) are the ones with whitewashed houses along tiny streets, bougainvillea growing along fences, porches, etc. It should be blooming in May.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:36 PM

I found Naxos town to be very beautiful, it's also not too expensive and it's very easy to island hop from there.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:56 AM

Fellow photographer speaking:<BR>My favourite places are:<BR>Olympos village, Karpathos - most traditional people, rugged mountain location<BR><BR>Oia, Santorini - classic postcard stuff, sunset, sea, troglodytic houses<BR><BR>Hora (main town) of Naxos and Paros (adjacent islands) for cobbled winding alleys etc<BR><BR>Hydra town for car-free alleys with grand houses (Ermoupolis on Syros is close second)<BR><BR>If you want more info do e-mail me<BR>[email protected]<BR>or try www.i-escape.com/greece for good, up-to-date background info