Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two weeks in Greece...help with itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My boyfriend and I (both in our mid 20's)will be heading to Greece for two weeks from the middle to the end of May. This is our first time visiting Greece and we are so excited! I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions on an itinerary and "must sees."

We love the beach, outdoor activities, good little restaurants and sights. Nightlife isn't very important to us, we want a nice, laidback atmosphere and want to experience real Greek culture. We are trying our best to make this as much of a "backpacking adventure" as possible and don't have a huge budget. As of right now the plan is to head straight to Santorini after a night in Athens. I think I want to stay in Oia. Any suggestions on cheaper places to stay that are still clean and friendly? We would also love to camp a few nights if it is warm enough?

After Santorini I am unsure of where to head next. Ios, Mykonos, Paros or Naxos? Would like to try and visit two of these if possible. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it...which islands to visit, best beaches, restaurants, sights, places to stay etc.

Also wondering how many nights to stay on each?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM

Hi

Camping on Santorini - http://www.santorinicamping.gr. In Oia - http://www.santorini-houses.com/casa/
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM

The best youth hostel on the island is in Oia, the Youth Hostel Oia.

http://www.santorinihostel.gr/
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 05:25 AM

I've gone island hopping a number of times and my favourite combination is still Santorini-Paros-Naxos (in any order).

First time my boyfriend and I did this combination we were in our early 20s. We loved it so much we ended up going back to Santorini nearly 10 years later to get married there!

For me Paros and Naxos are a good combination with Santorini because they are 3 very different islands.

Naxos is a good contrast to the other two with its italienate architecture / influences. The beach near Naxos town (St George)is lovely.

On Paros, the little fishing village of Naoussa is one of my favourite spots of the Greek islands. Down by the port they hang the octopus out to dry outside the little tavernas. It's just charming, typical Greek. The main town on Paros is worth a visit too - we spent a very pleasant couple of days wandering round and admiring the architecture. You can find fabulous clear water and watersports on Paros if you have a car, but the beach beside Naoussa itself is not great.

So Paros for traditional Greek island life, Naxos for a contrast.

No matter what combination you pick you will be happy with - the other islands are lovely also.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information!

littlejane, I'm finding it so hard to decide between Naxos and Paros. When you were on Paros did you visit Antiparos? It looks like such a nice little island. Which island do you think has the nicest beaches?

I think I am leaning towards Paros, any suggestions on (cheaper) places to stay?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Hi

On Paros we stayed at Sunset View - http://www.sunsetview-paros.com. Awesome! Ask for an ocean/pool facing room.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:49 AM

I fell in love at first sight with Antiparos, and have been going back once or twice a year ever since. I will be back there again in June.

A good private website with information on Antiparos and other Cycladic islands is: http://www.islandstrolling.com/
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Do you need to decide between them? i'd do both!!

We found some stunning beaches on Paros but we rented a car to get to them. The beaches beside Naoussa were not up to much.

On Naxos we stayed right on St George beach (twice). For a beach right beside the town we found this lovely but I am sure Naxos has even better more remote beaches if you have a car (we didn't).

Each time we just pitched up and got rooms from people waiting at the ferry so I have no idea what they were called. Same for Paros (sorry).

I didn't go to Antiparos but it's on my list. I've heard it's lovely.