Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Marais to CDG tomorrow morning. Help please: how long to allow?

Old Jan 1st, 2013, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our landlord's not responding to my query.

We're near St Paul Métro, and I can get my husband to Chatelet no problem. (navigating around that monster Chatelet is another issue.) For his 1030 Aer LIngus flight from terminal/aerogard 1, can someone give us a clue when to leave the Marais and be safely on time?
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 03:32 AM

Hello: Wondering how your trip to Paris has been going with the music and all. We always stay in the Marais and I allow myself one hour to get to CDG. Take St. Paul to either Chatelet or Gare du Nord and purchase your ticket to CDG. Make sure you get on an express to CDG (if possible). It sounds as if you have done the RER to or from the airport before. I always leave plenty of time and make sure that I arrive at CDG two hours before my flight, at least. I would leave Marais at 7:30 a.m.

Wondering what apartment you rented. I'm planning my fall 2013 trip to Paris. We like to rent a new apartment each time for a different experience.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 03:34 AM

The CDG website says RER B takes around half an hour from Chatelet-les-Halles, with service intervals about 10-15 minutes, and a six-minute CDGVAL light rail journey from the station to Terminal 1. So that's already over 50 minutes, plus whatever it takes to get to and around Chatelet. I'd allow at least an hour and a half before check-in time (what do they say you should allow for that?).

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/e...-transport.htm
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 04:42 AM

Definitely check with your airline to find out when you must check in . If flying back to the US you typically should arrive 3 hours in advance to allow for several security checks. If an inter-european flight they will probably allow you to check in with less time.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

This is incredibly helpful. He's connecting in Dublin to ORD. Aer Lingus advises 3.5 hr check in. We are close to Bastille Métro, so will just shoot up to Gare du Nord.

Opaldog, my husband was in Django heaven at the Cité de la Musique, Chopes des Puces, and Atelier Charonne. (and the group Borsalino that plays along the western colonnade of Place des Vosges most mornings.) I plan to write a trip report, and have gotten as far as the title. Highly recommend our apartment: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/218151

Good link, Patrick. It helps put my feet on the ground.

nyt, thank you. I had been thinking 2 hours was ample.

Thank you all so much!
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 05:57 AM

>> (and the group Borsalino that plays along the western colonnade of Place des Vosges most mornings.)
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:16 AM

A single ticket from anywhere in central Paris to CDG on the Metro and RER costs €9.25. Buy your ticket at Bastille.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Can you buy your RER ticket to CDG at whichever metro stop you get on to go to the RER? For example we would need to take the metro from Richard Lenoir station and transfer at Gare du Nord to continue on RER to CDG. Can we purchase the ticket on the RER at the Richard Lenoir metro stop? thanks!
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 08:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, you can buy a ticket to the airport(s) from any machine or ticket office, no matter what station.

An hour ahead of departure is plenty for Dublin -- so 90 minutes will be totally relaxing. Count an hour for the trip to CDG, but it will really only take 45 minutes, unless the RER pulls out from under your nose at Gare du Nord.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 08:34 AM

Air Lingus says 3.5 hours? Is your husband flying back to the USA via Ireland? At any rate, give him 1.5 hours to get to CDG and it'll be fine. Patrick has spelled out the relevant details.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 08:55 AM

2 questions on this topic:

Is taking the trains a significant savings of time and money versus taking a shuttle bus or hiring a car?

and if so ...

is the signage at the train stations in English?
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 09:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Can't speak to the time aspect but it is a good savings. As stated above the Metro and RER costs €9.25. Only time I took a taxi was maybe 5-8 years ago and very early in the am so minimal traffic and it cost for 2 people around €50.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 09:54 AM

Merci
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 10:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I think the fare went up as of January 1st... let me take a look...

The fare is now 9.50€.
Roissybus from Opéra remains stable at 10.00€.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
can't remember about the signage - but it is pretty obvious - you are looking for aeroport Charles de Gaulle or CDG. then Terminal 1,2,etc.

Bon voyage to your DH, Stoke!

I wonder if they will check his ID and boarding card as often as ours were checked last time we flew out of CDG. I counted 9 separate checks, some of them in plain sight of each other.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your invaluable help. SO glad I didn't rely on our landlady, who eventually e-replied that I could catch the 1 line at St. Paul at 0745 and take that directly to CDG. (?) I got him on the correct train in good time, and then he had to run the CDG gauntlet on his own, similar to your experience, Ann.

Also was very good to know we could buy the RER CDG ticket at Bastille. Much appreciate all your tips.

Patrick, yes! We bought their "Place des Vosges" CD, with "Menilmontant", and listened to it a lot in the apartment. Maybe Borsalino was out more during Christmas week, mornings. Didn't you love the bass player's intent expression?
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 05:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi stoke,

so glad that your DH made it safely, despite local attempts to thwart him.

what next for you in Paris?
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 06:04 AM

Re taking an express or regular RER B to CDG... it makes no difference as they alternate departures. An express can't pass the milk run train. So jump on the first one available.

Someone asked about 'hiring a car'. A taxi would cost about 50 euros plus or minus.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 05:04 PM

The express is good if you have luggage as it doesn't have as many stops or as many passengers, in my experience.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stokebailey, I read this thread originally from Paris, where I was staying near Saint Paul, the night before coming home. Our flight was leaving at 07:50, though, so no RER for us. Just a funny memory of when I realized I hadn't made any arrangements and the departure was approaching.

Love your apartment. Looking forward to your report!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -