The Kindness of Irish Strangers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my story of the kindness of the Irish people. Last week, my family caravan got completely turned around in downtown Dublin the day before St. Patrick's day. We asked a very nice woman for directions to our hotel. Our hotel was only 1 1/2 blocks away, but it was very difficult to reach as there were numerous one way streets, enormous parks/squares and blocked off streets. Once she realized how clueless we were, she insisted on getting in one of the cars and guiding us there herself . She then walked back to her car (we all laughed at my suggestion that I drive her to her car and then somehow find my way back to the hotel). I don't think you would find many American good Samaritans getting in a stranger's car to help a lost traveler. The Irish are a very special people.

By the way, if you do have a caravan of cars, walkie-talkies are essential. I can't tell you how many times it saved us from getting lost more often.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:04 AM

We were in Ireland in January and found the Irish people to be the nicest most friendly and helpful of any country we have ever visited. Both in the cities and the country.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:40 AM
dcespedes

I agree with StephenG--the friendliest, most helpful country we have visited ever, without doubt, is Ireland. I was not surprised by the outcome of your story. Truly remarkable people--thanks for sharing your experience.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 12:54 PM

thank you all for your kind words about the Irish people..... I agree but why wouldent I .... I am Irish myself
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Just one warning on the walkie talkies, the ones from the US are an illegal band in Ireland and you could get in trouble if caught (not very likely)
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Nineteen yearts ago on our first trip we were lost in Galway trying to find a particular pub. Stopped to ask an older gentleman who, like the lady in the first post, finally insisted on getting in our car and guiding us. When we arrived we asked him to please join us for a pint but he declined saying he had to get home because "it is me bath night!!!"

This past October lost in Westmeath a woman tried to give us directions and then said "oh it's too confusing", got in her car and guided us back to the main road.

The Irish are truly special---and the country is beautiful.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:54 PM

On our honeymoon in 1989 I was trying to find Buswell's Hotel. Driving in traffic, on the left, for the first time, I was really frazzled. I stopped at a light and a truck stopped behind me. The driver got out. I thought I was going to catch Hell.

He asked where are you headed. I said Buswell's Hotel. He said follow me--he pulled his truck around me, guided me to the right lane and clearly showed me by blinking his turn signal as to where to turn. It is 15 years later and I am still thinking about the kindness of a stranger, an Irish stranger.

We returned last September and will again in May. There are many reasons to visit Ireland. Its civility is not the least of the reasons. God bless Ireland.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:14 PM

I am sensing a theme.

Three 18 year old girlies late for the ferry home from Dublin to Wales back in 1988 or 89.

Me driving.

Hairy one way systems and no decent signage and utter confusion.

Stopped and asked for help and young brickie at the building site dashed into his van and said to follow.

Now, we were a little scared as we left the busy confines of Dublin. We didn't know where he might lead us.

It was several MILES he lead us there and then when we got there he just waved us on and left!

We were the last car to board the ferry!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:40 PM

My friend and I were driving in Dublin
last October, trying to find our hotel.

A Taxi driver opened his window and asked if we were lost, and when we said yes, he asked us where we were going. (We hadn't even asked, I guess we just looked pathetic). We gave him the name of our hotel and he said "follow me". We followed him there for about 15 minutes. We really wanted to give him the money for an equivalent cab fare but he would not take it.

Leaving our hotel in Dublin we were talking about finding the airport when a painter who had been working at the hotel overheard us. Again, we didn't even ask for help. He also let us follow him and took us all the way to the main airport road.

I remember those two gentlemen every time I think of my trip. I am trying to go back to Ireland this year. I have such fond memories of the beautiful country and friendly people.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 11:09 AM

I told this story years ago, but it bears repeating here when talking about the kindness of the Irish.
We were on the way to Letterkenny after touring the Derryveagh Mountains and Glenveagh National Park in this Northwest corner of Notheren Ireland. We found a B&B on the way in that we had read about and wanted to stay at, but we hadn't made reservations as we didn't know what day we would arrive. It was about four o'clock as we turned into the driveway. I walked up to the inviting front door and rang the bell and, very quickly, it was opened by the mistress of the house with a big smile and "hello". I inquired about availability and was disappointed to hear that she was full. However, she invited me in to take tea with her guests while she phoned around to her B&B friends to find me a comparable facility with availability. I thanked her and assured her we would find something without troubling her and taking her away from her guests. She absolutely insisted that I fetch my wife from the car and come in for tea while she took care of our lodging. Well, I couldn't refuse without being rude even though I wasn't sure what to expect. We were taken into her sitting room, introduced to each of her guests, seated among them and served tea and biscuits (cookies) and she went to make her calls. We chatted with the others, "where are you from", "where have you been", "where are you going", the usual conversation. The lady of the house soon returned with the information that she found us a nice place at the same rate and her husband, Charles, who was in the shower, would take us to the facility as soon as he came down. Again, we protested, "please just give us the address and we were sure we could find the place without troubling her or Charles any further". Of course, to no avail. We were to sit enjoy our tea and the company and Charles would be down soon. We acqiesced and during the following conversation we asked if she could recommend a restaurant for dinner that night. She had the perfect place in mind and Charles would show us the location on the way to the B&B. Again, thanks, but... Our argument was dismissed and everything was settled.
Soon, Charles came down, we were introduced, visited for a while and then off we went with Charles in the lead as we said our good-byes and thank yous. Charles, in his auto, led us to the restaurant, ponted aggressively to make sure we had seen it, and then drove on to the B&B which, I might add, was clear across the town. We pulled up. Charles helped us with our luggage, introduced us to the husband and wife that owned this B&B, chatted with all of us for a while. He then said his good-byes and "good trip", etc., and he was off. I was about to offer some compenstaion, but clearly these people felt obligated to help travelers that had intended to stay at their place and would be insulted by the offer.
My wife and I talk about this experience every now and then and continue to be amazed by the kindness and the hospitality these people had shown.
I have to add, we have found the people of Scotland to be similarly kind.