The card

Jan 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

The card

Need your advice. Saw a London attractions card for 5 days for 98 pounds that will get us free into many of the places we want to visit in the city plus free bus travel. Should I buy? Has anyone used this ?

Thanks in advance.
Jan 13th, 2011, 07:04 PM

You are likely talking about the London Pass --which is definitely NOT a good deal for most visitors.

And whatever you do - even if you do decide to spend £££ for the London Pass, never EVER get the transport option. That is just throwing good money after bad.

There are other ways to save money on admissions - Like the 2 for 1 specials here. http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

Plus almost all the museums and galleries in London are free.
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:06 AM

£20 a day.

Getting the kind of bus/tube pass the locals get shouldn't cost you more than £6 a day or thereabouts (and I'm not going into the variant options of those again!). So how likely is it that you would be spending more than £14 a day on entrance fees, bearing in mind the places you might want to visit, and the chances that you might want to keep your options open and not feel you've got to get your money's worth out of a pre-paid pass?
Jan 14th, 2011, 04:08 PM

I'm debating between the London Pass & the 2 for 1 deals and am a little confused on how to get the special. The 2 for 1 coupon says it needs to be redeemed with a valid train ticket, if I'm using an Oyster Card will I have a ticket to show them?

Thanks!
Jan 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM

petite43: If you are using an Oyster card you can't use the 2for1 offers. You need a paper ticket. You can buy paper travel cards (equivalent to an Oyster) at any train station in London.

But depending on various factors (like the length of stay) some get Oysters anyway and then just buy a paper travel card for the day(s) they are using the 2for1s.

Even IF you don't use the 2 for 1s, you most likely do not want a London Pass. They are very expensive and it usually isn't possible to get enough value from an LP in the short timeframe of the pass.
Jan 14th, 2011, 11:12 PM

To expand a little. The 2for1 offers are a promotion by the national rail companies that run commuter lines into London and a fair number of suburban rail services; you would need to get a paper ticket from one of their stations (for most visitors already in central London, one of the main rail termini, such as Victoria, Paddington, Waterloo, Charing Cross). The national rail companies sell paper travelcards that are also valid for Transport for London tube and bus services within the zones you choose.
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:52 AM

Thanks to both of you, I get it now.
Jan 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, all.