Search

The Alhambra

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Alhambra

I have read on this site to allow sufficient time to see The Alhambra. How much time is actually needed in terms of number of hours? We will be in Grenada in September for 3 days. I understand that buying our tickets on the internet and getting there early in the am helps to avoid the crowds. But. is it worthwhile to be at the Palace after dark when it is lit up or is the view then better from the city. Thanks in advance for all your help on this site !
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:23 AM

The best view of the Alhambra in the evening is from Plaza St Nicholas in the Albaicin. Have a little wine, eat a bite and enjoy. Absent crowds, I'd allow a couple of hours for an Alhambra visit.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 04:48 AM
clg

I just got back from 8 days in Spain. The Alhambra in its entirety took us about 3-4 hours. I agree with the suggestion to go to Plaza St Nicholas to see it in the evening, but think it was good to visit the Alhambra in the daytime. Also, on the way back to our hotel after viewing the sunset at Plaza St Nicholas, we went to a delicious Fondue place which was also worth the visit! And do book your tickets in advance. The line to get in can get insane otherwise!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:22 AM

I took a group tour of the Alhambra, so I never had to stand in line. Our guide handed us prebooked tickets and we walked right in. There was a very long line, however, for people without tickets. I would think it would be a good idea to see the Alhambra at night, as it is bloody hot during the day. I did not have that option. I think two hours are needed actually touring the Alhambra. In my opinion, the gardens are the best feature. If you do go during the day, bring a hat, sunscreen, and a large bottle of water.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:32 AM

It's been a while since I was in Spain, but I recall touring the Alhambra in the afternoon and escaping some of the crowds. Once it got dark, we ate great paella at a restaurant cafe outside from which we could see the castle lights. I might be remembering the wrong thing, but I also recall hearing gypsy music from the cavernous homes in the hills. the whole evening was quite magical.