Granada without the Alhambra?

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granada without the Alhambra?

So, I waited too long and tickets are no longer available for the day IŽll be in Granada. (I know, I know...I should have known after reading all the posts on here).

But now what? IŽll only have about 24 hours in the city, are there any other sights I should take in? I would rather not change my destination as I already have my train ticket and hotel reservation.

I still am going to try to get up super early to get day-of tickets but IŽm not getting my hopes up.

Trip report to come soon!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Hi Kalikiana,
Of course my main objective in going there was the Alhambra, but, the main cathedral down the hill in the heart of town is worth seeing. If you can't get in to the Alhambra I would think you could still go and take a good look at the palace parador. The first bricks were laid around l495 to create a Franciscan convent. The parador was opened as such in l944, is beautiful, and quite a photo op. for doors and tile. My tour guide recommended Restaurante Cunini near the cathedral for good seafood. She was right.
I didn't stay in Granada long as it was snowing on March l.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 01:44 PM

You will have a great time in Granada without the Alhambra but..you don't need to lose the pleasure to see it One easy way is to book a group tour trip from your hotel, they always have tickets for the Alhambra as they have a number of tickets reserved for groups each day A friend of mine did it this way recently and she could visit the alhambra when there were no tickets for individuals
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Just returned from Granada and they do sell same day tickets but you need to get here early and stand in line. They have limited number of tickets for either morning and for afternoon. We had reservations and got there early and we noticed that the line for that day's tickets was starting around 8:00am. I wouldn't give up hope. Give it a go - all they can say is "no tickets". There isn't much in Granada besides the Alhambra but it is an interesting city to walk in the neighborhoods and visit the cathedral which is quite large. Also some interesting "back alley" shops.

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 04:45 PM

Make sure to seek your hotel's advice about tickets. Several years ago the parador would send a staff member in the morning to get tickets. "Orders" were placed the night before. We actually went twice, since it was so easy to get tickets.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Just an update...went to the Alhambra at 7AM this morning. There were only 4 other people there until about 7:45. Maybe about 30 people total were there before 8AM. Got tickets no problem! Thank you for all your help!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:55 AM

Hi

Glad to hear you got tickets. I've just returned from Spain and did get to Granada. The Alhambra was truly spectacular - building and gardens. Try also to check out Albycin. This is the old Moorish quarter. I recommend visiting near sunset. Walk the quaint old streets then dine at a restaurant there - our taxi driver recommended rabbit at one place (it was in a plaza but I didn't get the name). Didn't dine there but if it interests you I'm sure any taxi driver would know of it. Then on your walk down pass through the Moroccan style markets.

Truly unique and memorable.

Have fun.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:45 AM

Glad to hear you found tickets to Alhambra. If you have time explore Albayzin. The bus from Plaza Nueva to Albayzin has a stop for Mirador de San Nicolas for a beautiful view of Alhambra. Since you do not have much time, another option will be getting a tour through your hotel to Albayzin and a Flamenco performance in one of the caves of Sacromonte. The tour was a mix of Albayzin and Mirador de San Nicolas that is in Albayzin and ended with Flamenco show at Sacromonte. It was actually a good tour at night. You might want to stay away from Sacromonte unless you are with a tour.