Reload this Page >

Thank you Fodors for updating the indexing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Rex

I suppose it would be wishful thinking that you also added support for the euro symbol ? also, huh?<BR><BR>We'll see.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Liz

Yes, thanks!<BR><BR>I like to think that it was MY e-mail that finally made the difference, but probably the "indexer" was on vacation.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:53 AM
mj

Replying to this post, on a 102 key win keyboard, I held down the &lt;Alt&gt; key and typed 0128 on the numeric pad. The following was displayed: &curren;<BR>hth,<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:53 AM
mj

Guess it doesn't work <BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Should be a

?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:10 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Rex

This is probably idle speculation, but we never hear anything from Fodors staff, so it prompts one to draw conclusions from the information available.<BR><BR>Someone referred to the need to "fix" the indexing recently - - and I now think that this was more accurate than my calls to "update" the indexing.<BR><BR>Not only was the indexing this database "updated" ("fixed") yesterday before 2:31 pm - - it was also "updated" sometime again, well under 24 hours later.<BR><BR>"Updating" suggests that there is some process by an operator. Or it might be scheduled at regular intervals, unattended.<BR><BR>I think that the updating was "broken" - - by a corrupt file or something like that. If someone was on vacation, it may have been the technical diagnostic person, or simply unaware.<BR><BR>In any event, I'm glad it's "updated" - - not only yesterday, but today as well.<BR><BR>This is far more important to newbies (which are a cornerstone of the vitalty of this forum) than to the "regulars" who have a number of ideas on how to find things.<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Rex

Topping, in the event any techies have an interest or other input/speculation.<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:11 PM
mj

<BR>Couldn't re-find this msg. yesterday to post more info. re: euro.<BR><BR>Simply put, Fodors servers use a character set that does not have the euro symbol. Upgrading their servers, webpages and scripts to a character set that does have the euro could be a time consuming proposition - depending on how they were written<BR>