Search

Key West/ Dry Tortuga Isle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West/ Dry Tortuga Isle

Hi,
I would really like to know where the best place to stay in Key West would be and how to get to the Tortuga Isles. The four of us are traveling at the end of March (and we love the beach)and we really want to see the best sights. If anyone can give me some tips, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank You!!!

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Geez, N007,
You want to be spoon-fed?
If so, I clicked on the link that no name gave you in your other post. I typed in "Dry Tortugas". I followed the link and found myself at the page describing all the details for the day trip to DTNP.

Bet you can do it too!

For the "best" place to stay - well, that's very subjective. Type in "Key West hotels" in the search box above and read what lots of Fodorites like about the different places to stay. My "best" may not be your "best" (Chances are...not!)

I think someone even topped another Key West post for you to read.

Happy reading!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM

keywest.com will give you ALL the answers.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Pearl's Rainbow
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Pearls rainbow is an exclusive all women guesthouse I think.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Hey, N007, I saw your "help" thread, too, and I am new here, too. I've found the best thing to do is to read lots of threads here to get an idea of how best to ask travel questions. Most of these people are extremely helpful, but they are also real people - not travel agents, so you can't expect them to do "all" the work for you. It saves time to know something about your travel destination, at least where it is and the correct place names, before asking very vague questions. They don't bite here, but they do kind of expect you to grow up fast!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Perfectly said Speedbuggy!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM

I agree! Well put!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:42 AM

How's the planning going, N007?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:48 AM

N007, you may not be aware of this, but there are almost NO beaches at all in the keys--they are coral. There are plenty of people who don't realize this--they think FL, on the water = beach, but that isn't necessarily so.

In Key West, the Hyatt has a teeny beach with imported sand. There might not be room enough for the 4 of you to lie down side by side, it's that small. There's another on the other side of the island, but the Keys, although a boating and snorkeling (one key) destination, are not a beach destination. If that's what you are primarily interested in, look for a location on the mainland instead.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:53 AM
GoTravel

The best tip I can give you is buy the guidebook "The Florida Keys" by Joy Williams.

He he he! The beach at the Hyatt! So true Malesherbes!

Either the Reach Resort or the Casa Marina has a great man made beach but as others have said, 'beach' is a relative term in Key West.

Flying to the Dry Tortugas is your best bet.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Very nicely said, SpeedBuggy!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:08 AM

I have been to Ft Jefferson twice; once by boat and once by seaplane. The seaplane flight was spectacular. You see so much and they only fly about 500 feet high!
The best beach on KW is Fort Zachary Taylor. There is a small fee, but it is worth it. Last year I was snorkrling there and saw many fish and one large barracuda!
There are many nice places to stay and I would recommend something in Old Town. It is within walking distance of all the restaurants, bars and attractions.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:03 AM

NOO7- I love Key West too! Make sure you stay in Old Town there is no good parking. You want to be able to walk to all the bars and restaurants. Renting bikes are a good way to get around. as for the beaches we always spend a day at Fort Taylor park it is really pretty just take some swim shoes for the rocky bottom.To get there, head down Southard Street into Truman Annex. Continue to end and follow signs to the Park Entrance. There is a small entrance fee - well worth the price of admission. The beach is over 1/2 mile more away from the guard shack.

Bicycles are the preferred way to get to Ft. Zach, but if you enjoy a long walk it is enjoyable.

Taxis will drop off and pick up people at the concession stand, and there is parking available for your vehicle.

Smathers beach is great for an active beach ( vollyball, people watching) it is 2 miles long with Bahamas sand imported in. You could ride a bike to both of those. If you wanted to rent a car for the day you can go to Bahia Honda about 30 miles from Key West. One of the best beaches you will ever see really pretty. I have never been to Dry Tortugas but really want to next time we are there. It's about 90 min. away by ferry and I've heard it is well worth the trip. You will love Key West there are plenty of boat trips to take so you won't miss the non beach front where you stay. Have fun!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:07 AM

There are three ways to get to the Dry Tortugas, two boats and a seaplane. This gives you an idea of how they stack up against each other...
http://www.bestonkeywest.com/drytortugascompare.htm

(Not eveery detail is exact, but it gives you the idea)

The best place to stay depends on how much you can afford and whether you want a hotel or a B&B (There are so many good places to have breakfast in Key West that one of the "B's" seems a waste to me. I always stay at the Pier House but they are going through some sort of rennovation this fall.

Try not to miss B.O.'s Fishwagon on Carolin, Pepe's on Caroline, Blue Heaven on Petronia, El Meson de Pepe on Wall Street or the Rooftop Cafe on Front Street or Kellys on Whitehead. And have a Key West Sunset Ale. It is best at Sloppy Joe's.

Pjk
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Pjk --I love all the places you named also Capt.Tony's and Schooner's

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:43 AM

I don't care for the Schooner Wharf. I can never seem to get a drink at the little tables, it's the one place where I don't like to sit at the bar, and I can walk left or right and be at what I think are better places, Half Shell Raw Bar one way or the Conch Republic Seafood Co. in the other.

And Capt'n Tonys seems so dark and dank to me, but a lot of people love this place. I used to like the place that was across the street from Tony's - The Iguana Cafe? with those little tables and stools out front. You could just tip back your stool and signal for another drink. They are re-building it.

Thanks
Pjk

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Did N007 ever come back to his/her thread? Doesn't look like it, but maybe reading without comments??
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:51 AM
GoTravel

LOL! Captain Tony's is such a nasty dive but I love the place!

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Hello, we stayed in Key West end of March this year in de Doubletree Hotel. They have a free shuttle-bus to their own beach and tot the center of key-west. Doubletree is very luxuoeus and a wonderful service.
Greetings, Paul the Netherlands

sorry if my english is not so good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -