Search

Thameslink

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thameslink

I will be traveling from Gatwick to Kings Cross using the Thameslink Train. Should I buy the ticket online at www.flybytrain.co.uk or buy it at the station. The website wants 20 pounds for return travel.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:10 PM

I see no need to buy a ticket for a local commuter train in advance. Just get your ticket at the station.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Sod's Law (known to Americans as Murphy's Law) is the governing principle here.

It's absolutely 100% guaranteed that, by the time your flight's been delayed, you'll get to the ticket office 2 minutes before the Thameslink train is due, that you need to catch this one to make your connection, some other tourist in front of you will be trying to pay in foreign money and the self-service machines will be broken.

Assuming you've checked at www.nationalrail.co.uk that the price you're quoted is right, get the ticket in your hands before you leave home. But do remember that the ticket is valid only on that route, for Thameslink trains, and isn't valid on trains operated by South Central or Gatwick Express. Do you really want to come back that way?
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

My hotel is 3 blocks from Kings Cross so yes I want to return that way unless anyone else has a better way.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:41 PM

Check to make sure that work is not been done on the Thameslink line between Gatwick and Kings Cross, work is usually done on the weekend and part of the line may be closed, work may also be completed by now, I travelled in June.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Thinking about using Easy Jet into Luton Airport the day after Xmas. I contacted a car hire for an estimate for 4 people and luggage from Luton to Kensington and they want 124 GBP, which is 25% more expensive than our flight from Paris. The Eurostar schedule for December hasn't posted yet, but it's beginning to look very attractive. Looked at the Thameslink schedule. Where would we depart and how would we get to Kensington? Is this more trouble than it's worth? Any other suggestions? We will be in London for a week and departing from Gatwick, could use some advice about that as well. Thanks!!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:18 AM

When you buy a ticket on Easy Jet, you have the option to purchase Thameslink tickets at a discounted price. If you take it from Luton to Kings Cross, you can take the Tube from Kings Cross to just about anywhere (the Tube station is right next to the Thameslink station, which is a major stop where a number of Tube lines have a stop). I took the Thameslink to and from Luton and it was fine -- took about 30 - 40 mins. depending on if you got the express or not. There is a shuttle from the Luton airport that takes you over to the train station. I don't recall the exact price, but I think my round trip Thameslink ticket (purchased through Easy Jet) may have been 16 GBP, but I'm not sure. We had a good experience on Easy Jet going to Barcelona.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:06 AM

From London Luton (via an EasyJet flight from Berlin), we caught the free shuttle bus to the train station. We bought our train tickets for 10 pounds per person. We went up some stairs and down (I think) and got to the platform. The train came about 2 minutes later. The ride to Kings Cross took about 30 minutes or so. From Kings Cross they have signs leading you to the tube. You go down some stairs and through some passageways and go to the Piccadilly line west-bound platform.

This had all proceeded with great speed and efficiency. Then I realized it was rush hour on Friday night in London. No problem as my son and I just hopped off and on the tube cars for the first few stops to get out of people's way (easy to do with our carry-ons). Then we got a convenient standing spot and stayed put until we got to Gloucester Road. I think there are both stairs and then a lift there, but it was pretty easy. If you make sure not to come in during rush hour, it would probably be even easier.

I would certainly recommend taking the train from Luton airport and then the tube over spending that much on a car service unless you really would not mind the loss of 60 pounds or so.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:56 AM

WillTravel:

Thank you (and your son) for behaving in a civilised way on the tube. Would that the natives behaved the same way.

In the days when Britain was a civilised country, the universal rule was that it was the responsibility of tube passengers to avoid getting in the way of other passengers. Those wanting to get on waited till everyone getting off was off. Everyone 'moved right down inside', or 'right down the platform.

These days, North American (and Southern Hemisphere) visitors - and the odd old Britfart - are almost the only passengers with any sense of public spirit. Continental and East Asian tourists are, if anything, even more antisocial about this than Londoners (if that's possible).

Let WillTravel be a lesson to you all.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:12 PM

I've taken Thameslink trains many times and they tend to be dirty, at times standing room only, kind of like the tube. I'd advise people with loads of luggage to go first class but these trains have just a few first-class seats which are likely to be occupied by second-class ticket holders. Don't expect Gatwick Express-like plushness. 20 pounds return seems high but you can check fares on www.railtrack.uk site.