Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris

Apr 20th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris

I'll be taking the Thalys from AMS -> Paris on May 14th, and I'm trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to get the tickets.

Here are the details of my situation:
- I'll be arriving in London on May 7th
- Flying to A'dam on the evening of 5/11
- Would like to get the train that departs at 10am and arrives in Paris at 2pm
- I want a first class ticket
- I am under 26

I don't really want to use RailEurope as their prices are just way too inflated. I'm a bit concerned about waiting until I get to AMS to book the ticket though, because timing is important (meeting my parents in Paris). However, there doesn't seem to be any way to pre-purchase this ticket from the U.S.

I've thought about contacting my hotel's concierge services (Renaissance Amsterdam), and asking if they can purchase and hold the ticket for me. Has anybody done something like this before? Also, will they be able to buy the youth fare (if there is one) for me as well?

Any other suggestions on where/how to buy my ticket?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Apr 20th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Bootman4U

Using RailEurope or similar does involve that "extra money" you are concerned about but then again, you're paying for convenience of not having to worry OR to post here hoping somebody can help. I would DEFINITELY e-mail (assume you won't spend the money for a phone call)the hotel and ask if the concierge will purchase the ticket or at least make the reservation for you and they can add it to your bill or they'll probably ask for a credit card to be charged (in case you end up being a no-show at the hotel). I've done this sort of thing with train station pick-up by the hotel car at other places. I assume you have been unable to reserve on-line using the Netherlands railway site (not sure it can be done). Anyway, you have nothing to lose. Also, you are ASSUMING you won't be able to get a seat once you arrive in Amsterdam...if it gets that far i would go to the railroad ticket office at Schiphol the minute you can (assuming you're flyinginto that airport) and buy the ticket.

Apr 20th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Karmasalad,

You could try calling SNCF (the French railway company) at 011 33 8 92 35 35 39 - they apparently will mail tickets to the US if booked by phone (the website doesn't allow this).

Otherwise, you will have to either wait till you arrive or book through RailEurope, as the dutch rail company NS doesn't allow you to prepay tickets and pick them up at the station and won't mail them abroad (DUH!).

The youth fare in 1st class for your journey is EUR 68.50 and AFAIK these tickets are not capacity controlled, so as long as there is a seat on the train you can book it at that price.

Since there are fairly frequent trains on this route and you will be travelling midweek, I would just wait and purchase the tickets upon arrival at AMS airport. The airport train station is right in the arrivals hall - just head for the international ticket counter at the far end of the ticketing area.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I just found out that a friend of mine is heading to Amsterdam this week. Can youth fares be purchased on behalf of someone else? (She is also under 26.) Or is the ticket issued to the specific person?

Basically, I'm wondering if she can go buy a youth fare ticket and just give it to me when she gets back.
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:44 PM

Karmasalad,

Your friend can purchase the ticket for you, no problem!

Tickets are not issued to a specific person. The train conductor is responsible for verifying your age, not the ticket seller.

Andre
Apr 21st, 2003, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

That's great! Thanks so much for your help, Andre.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:55 AM

I've booked through SNCF online and had the tickets sent to my hotel. The tickets arrived well before I arrived, and I've never had a problem.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:59 AM

Last year I asked the concierge at my hotel in Paris to book a RT Paris/brussells. She did. But as I recall, I had to pick up the tkts at the Paris train station, which can cause a bit of anxiety since I prefer having the tkts in my hand before getting to the station. However, there was no problem, just be sure you get the confirmation, concierge name, hotel name before you go to the station and have it with you when they ask at the tkt booth at the station. And ask the concierge via email if you are home if the confirmation is done so you can relax.