Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Confused about buying train tix to Paris from AMS

Oct 19th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Is it possible to buy a Thalys tix to go from AMS to Paris on the French Rail site, www.voyages-sncf.com? If I select the option to print the tix off, do I take that to the train station in AMS and get my ticket? Or is this option only good if the travel begins in Paris. I have tried to use the Thayls site but it defaults to Dutch. thanks for your help!
Oct 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM

I always buy our Amsterdam-Paris thalys tickets at SNCF.com - it's quite easy to do.

Leave the country as "France", go thru the booking process and do NOT select the optional insurance - otherwise the 'print your own' feature won't be offered.
When you print the tickets, it's just an 8x11 regular sheet of paper, and black/white is ok. This paper IS the ticket - you show it to the conductor when he comes down the aisle, along with your id as requested. That's it.

You can print multiple copies. No one else can use them b/c your name is 'watermarked' all over the printed area.

You can only print your own if buying the discounted rate tickets, since they are nonrefundable and nonexchangeable.
Oct 20th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Adding to Travelnut's comments. A Smilys ticket is usually the cheapest discount fare. You have to do a roundtrip booking, but you can throw away the return portion. The Amsterdam-Paris Smilys ticket is E65, cheaper than the standard single (one-way) fare. I say "usually the cheapest" because I just did a dummy booking at sncf.com, entering some December dates. I could have chosen a fare I had never heard of before, Flash 1, for E49 RT.
Oct 20th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Can I go to the train station in Amsterdam and buy a ticket when I'm ready to go instead?
Oct 20th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Yes and perhaps pay a whole whole lot more than say a Smilys fare, which to get you much book really early - maybe a hundred dollars more - don't know but www.voyages-sncf.com will tell you i guess.
Oct 20th, 2006, 08:27 AM

If you buy a 2nd class ticket at the station in Amsterdam, it will cost you E97.50.
Oct 20th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Very helpful--having never orderd tix online b4, I was getting a bit concerned. Your responses clarified it all for me. I'll check for the Flash 1 fare. Haven't seen that when I've looked at the site -thanks to all!