Search

TGV Recs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Sal

TGV Recs

I will be taking the TGV in August from Paris to Nice. I notice on the SNCF site they have 1st class and 2nd class seating. Besides getting a meal on 1st class and presumably more comfortable seating should I be aware of any other differences? Is the big price difference between the seating worth it? Thanks.<BR>Sal

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Susan

That route takes about six hours or so.<BR>It may be worth the extra cost for that trip but it depends on what you are looking for.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Jennifer

Hi Sal,<BR><BR>Personally I don't notice as big of a difference between first and second class on the TVG as I do between economy and business class on NW/KLM Airlines.<BR><BR>There is a bit more room, but personally, I don't think I'd pay the difference again.<BR><BR>The problem is that you won't know whether it's worth the extra cost for you until you compare the two directly yourself! Some swear it's worth the difference, and others say it isn't.<BR><BR>Jennifer<BR><BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Sue

I prefer first class because it usually isn't as crowded as second (less claustrophobic). And unless they have started something new, you don't get a meal in first class--only on Eurostar to London.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Tony

Not only will you not get a meal in 1st.Class, but you may not even be able to buy much of a snack, as the service in the Buffet Cars on TGVs is very erratic, and extremely unreliable. It will pay you to stock up with a baguette or two at the station before boarding "just in case". Cheaper and better too.<BR>Having said that I would still opt for First Class.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Bob Brown

other than a little better seat, 1st class is not that much of an improvement. <BR>Meal? Have yet to see one traveling first class on any continental train, other than the ones I bought in the dining car.<BR>About the only thing the TGV had was a bar/snack car that offered very little, for a price.<BR><BR><BR>The TGV trains I have ridden were virtually full in first class.<BR>The passengers were mostly business people carrying brief cases and wearing suits.<BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Elaine

If you are not a smoker, be sure to reserve a seat in a non-smoking car! Our first trip on the TGV was wonderful but our second was almost unbearable due to being stuck in a smoking car.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Mike

I do not find a big difference and the price difference is substantial.