Reload this Page >

2 days on Amalfi Coast

Search

2 days on Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:57 AM
julie

2 days on Amalfi Coast

My husband and I have two days to spend on the amalfi coast in mid July. We are both 30 yo. Flying in and out of Naples. Currently have reservations for two nights in Capri at Hotel Luna and reservations in positano at Hotel Pasitea. I need to cancel one reservation soon. I know this is a very short stay but we would like to visit both Capri and Positano. Need advice on which place would be better to stay or should we stay one night in each place? Leaning towards staying in Positano with day trip to Capri. Would love to hear reviews on Hotel Pasitea if anyone has stayed there. Other recommendations are welcomed. Complicating issue is that our flight home leaves Naples at 7:15 am. It would probably be smart if we spent last night in Naples near airport but I want to reserve this as a last option.<BR>How hard would it be to make it to the airport for this early departure from either capri or positano. We really don't mind only getting 4 or 5 hours sleep the last night but at the same time we don't want to be stupid and miss a flight.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Ian

Julie - Two nights & two centers will be a blur. I'd suggest, pick one & enjoy the local scenery. How are you planning to get to/from airport?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Steve James

Hello Julie,<BR><BR>You couldn't get to the airport in time from Capri.<BR>From Positano it would be feasible only if you book a limo 04.30'ish, - at a guess.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Vadim

The absolutely best hotel in Positano is Tonarelli pansione. It is also quite cheap. Even has its own beach.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:07 AM
julie

Ian, we will most likely arrange a limo to pick us up. Still don't have final plan though. Do have a suggestion?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Betsy

Vadim, can you give more info about Tonarelli Pensione? It sounds interesting but doesn't come up on Google.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Ian

We drove from Roma, Napoli & environs are the worst driving I have ever experienced. Search the forum for limo rates to the coast. I think I have seen 300 Euros.<BR>My suggestion: Get to the coast. Pick a spot (I can recommend Hotel Belvedere in Conca dei Marini). Plan to use the SITA buses & boats to see the different towns (not as hard as it sounds). You could visit Positana, Amalfi & have dinner at Cupma' Cosimo in Ravello in one fantastic day.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:35 PM
kiki

Hi Julie,<BR><BR>My first suggestion is to travel very light - the key for Italy is really a carry-on size suitcase and a tote/backback for the daytime (touring, shopping, carrying snacks). It will be warm, so you won't need that much heavy clothing, and bring a pretty wrap, or better yet, buy one in the markets in Florence (pashmina like shawl for $10). <BR><BR>Then, book yourself in Positano. Get a car service to pick you up in Naples, drive you to Positano, check in to your hotel, and just enjoy the town of Positano. The windy streets are fantastic and so is the shopping. When dusk rolls in, make sure you're on a balcony overlooking the hills, and it is just magical. Have a nice dinner in Positano and get tucked in to bed. Don't worry about not going to Ravello. It is a fantastic view, but I think that you should just take in Positano in a relaxing way and enjoy it for the one day. <BR><BR>On day 2, rise and shine to take an early ferry to Capri. It is about a 45 minute ride each way. Once you arrive, if you want to see the blue grotto, do it early b/c it gets very crowded and you have to wait to get in to see it. It means getting on another smaller boatride for about a 1/2 hour, but I loved the entire experience. On your return from the Blue Grotto, take the funicular up to CapriTown for lunch al fresco at the Hotel Luna's poolside. Lots of shopping to be done, or take a hike around the island. Then, return during daylight to Positano, and book dinner at La Strada in the town of Priano. This was one of the most amazing meals that we had in Italy and the price was so reasonable, even though the service and atmosphere were terrific. <BR><BR>This itinerary should take you to where you want to see in Positano and Capri, but in a relaxed mode (1 full day in Positano when you arrive, and day 2 in Capri).<BR>I've posted my travelogue from the Amalfi Coast on fodors.com with lots of shopping, dining, etc. tips. If you type in "kiki" into the search box, and scroll down, you'll see my entry.<BR><BR>Have a fansastic trip!<BR><BR>Kiki

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:03 PM
Phil

You will absolutely love the Hotel Pasitea in Positano. The rooms have all been fully remodeled 2 years ago, and are spotless. All rooms have views of the coastline, and the suites are particularly nice. The front desk staff was very helpful during our stay in late-April, 2002. We have already booked our return visit -- one of the niceset hotels we have stayed at in our travels to Italy!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Julie

thanks for the great advice everyone. I really appreciate it.