sleeping in first class train seats

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:20 PM
rita

sleeping in first class train seats

Any body have an opinion as to sleeping in your first class seats on an overnite trip of approx 8 or 9 hrs? Thanks

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:06 PM
aa

First you need to check if the overnight train you plan to take actually has first class seats. Many overnight trains only have second class seats, couchettes, and sleeping cars. They don't offer first class seats.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:26 PM
rita

Does this mean that even if I purchase a First Class rail pass, I might not get a First Class seat? I might as well buy 2nd class at the station when I get there...Yes or No?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Jean Valjean

You should be able to get a couchette or a sleeping car for a supplement. No need to buy a different ticket.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:20 PM
BTilke

I don't know what your itinerary is, but if you are going to go overnight, I would get a private sleeper. I've taken overnight trips in the past year to Vienna, Switzerland and Germany and there's no way I'd share a sleeping compartment with a bunch of strangers. I would not be comfortable.
Do you really need to go overnight? Is it possible you could do the route as a day trip? For example, when I caught a train from Brussels to Nuremberg in March, the Belgian rail web site only gave me an overnight train option. However, I did some research on my own and took the Thalys high speed train to Koln and then a German ICE train to Nuremberg--during the day.
Also, are you planning to do the overnight train trip right after you arrive? That could bring on serious jet lag. Some people can sleep like logs on trains, but I can't, and the next day, all I wanted was a hot shower and a long nap in my hotel room.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:40 PM
rita

Actually, we won't be overnighting it right away, but within the first eek. First from Paris to Munich...Munich to Rome...Rome to Bern...then back to Paris. I was trying to find out if saving a few $ was going to be worth it. Me thinks not. Thanks everyone!!!